From: Josh Kuperman
Subject: Is there a way to capture the output from the listener
I've been trying some experiments in XLISP-STAT, which means some of the
things I've been doing won't work in standard lisp. I haven't been able to
figure out a way to do this in any lisp other than to dribble to a file
and read the file in. Yet the i/o-streams have to exist so there should be
a way to tap in and access them directly. Though I wouldn't want to
manipulate them as that could get as nasty as messing with the read-table.

I want to capture the output (or the input) from the user (or program)
interaction with the Lisp listener into a string. What I'd like is to
create a variable *user-interaction* of some kind and have what shows up
as typed by the user be captured. But I want to do it from a program not
simply read in a string and be able to turn it off and on. Also perhaps
capture the input to one string and the output to another - and then be
able to use the values (i.e. the strings captured) returned by the
functions.

--
Josh Kuperman
ยทยทยทยท@racing.saratoga.ny.us