From: George J. Carrette
Subject: Re: Opinions on Scheme
········@kale.connix.com (Richard Tietjen) wrote:
>That's one vote for Scheme, though I still have to work with Perl
>and Windows tools.

Maybe this will help. Check out the regular expression and unix operating
system support in the latest ftp://ftp.std.com/pub/gjc/siod_tar.gz (108kbytes).

I've really worked hard on aspects such as small runtime footprint
and ease of extensibility by C programmers who don't want to be
bothered by obscure programming conventions that encourage human error.

The previous release of SIOD was also C++ clean and ran in Windows NT.
Therefore it shouldn't be difficult for a good programmer to figure out
how to utilize it from within the current Visual C++/Windows 95 environment,
using either direct calls to a DLL or through the more abstract OLE.

From a system organization point of view I think you will find SIOD
is useful for allowing you to put the fast and/or ugly stuff in C,
and the elegant stuff in scheme. Although SIOD is fast as interpreters
go, many times faster than Perl or TCL, and even faster than many
byte-coded systems. (Not as fast as SCM, however).

Byte coded systems are usually extremely ugly to extend at the C programmer
level. Needing specialized knowlege or complex tools with their own
learning curve.

And libraries of byte codes are rarely shared between processes at the
level of operating-system-memory-management.

-gjc