From: Dieter Menszner
Subject: Re: Is tail call the new goto?
········@stout.bbn.com wrote:

> Originally i learned that goto's were to be avoided.  So i avoided them
> using structured programming constructs.  Now, I find myself doing a lot
> more tail recursion than i used to, such as:
>
> (defun skip (s)
>   (when (member (peek s) '(#\space #\tab #\newline))
>     (skip (next s))))

> However, since a tail call is just a "goto with arguments", haven't i just
> gone back to programming with goto's?  What to do?

Certainly not. The statement "goto with arguments" refers to how the
interpreter/compiler executes the translation of the source code.
You could also say you go back to machine code programming because finally
any program (in any language) is executed by the cpu ;-)

   Dieter Menszner

            *** This line intentionally left blank. ***