From: ···········@delphi.com
Subject: Code for Allen Text
I have been trying to learn Lisp for about six months, using Winson and
Horn's text: _Lisp: 3rd Edition_. I have managed to make it to the "blocks world"
which is a heck of lot more interesting that "garbage collection."

Of particular value, I hope be this little expository
gem: _Object Oriented Programming in Common Lisp_ Sonya Keene. Addison/
Wellesly.

My motivation here is that I have been working in standard GB syntax
within one area of semantics called "theta theory." My preoccupation
has been with the "semantics syntax interface" vis a vis causatives
and inference mechanisms involving relative clause constructions.
A year ago, it occurred to me that my thoughts on the subject would
be better received if they were stated in the form of actual programs.
In effect, I began to move in the direction of computational linguistics
which I am now pursuing. But I have reached a point of considerable
aggrevation.

The best book, it seems to me, for the purpose of gaining an initial
understanding of computational is James Allen's _Natural Language
Understanding_. Benjamin/Cummings Publishing. The problem is that
the book says that the software can be obtained by FTP from
bc.aw.com. But I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have the code for this book? Or can someone give me
explicit instruction on how to retrieve it?

Tanks

Stevie "Magoo" Bayne
Somerville Boxing Club

From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: Code for Allen Text
On Sat, Dec 28, 1996 5:10 PM, ···········@delphi.com
<··················@delphi.com> wrote:
>The best book, it seems to me, for the purpose of gaining an
>initial
>understanding of computational is James Allen's _Natural Language
>Understanding_. Benjamin/Cummings Publishing. The problem is that
>the book says that the software can be obtained by FTP from
>bc.aw.com. But I can't find it anywhere.
>
>Does anyone have the code for this book? Or can someone give me
>explicit instruction on how to retrieve it?

Look at http://yoda.cis.temple.edu:8080/UGAIWWW/books/index.html
for a collection of links to software from AI books.  Allen's
book is there (with a different URL than what you have), but
I can't reach it at the moment.

 David B. Lamkins --- http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/
From: David B. Lamkins
On Sun, Dec 29, 1996 12:16 PM, David B. Lamkins
<···············@teleport.com> wrote:
>Look at http://yoda.cis.temple.edu:8080/UGAIWWW/books/index.html
>for a collection of links to software from AI books.  Allen's
>book is there (with a different URL than what you have), but
>I can't reach it at the moment.

I got through this AM.  The FTP directory for Allen's book is
ftp://ftp.aw.com/cseng/authors/allen/NatLang2e/

 David B. Lamkins --- http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins/