From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: What was Apollo Domain Lisp?
I saw some references to "Apollo Domain Lisp".

If you know what it was, could you please drop me a short note?

Was ist just a repackages generic Lisp package or something Apollo did
on their own? Who wrote it?

When was it introduced?

Had it any features specific to Domain OS? Or centrered more around
being just a generic Lisp implementation.

What kind of Lisp was it? Bytecode, native compiler?

Is there some way to get ahold of a copy? Are there any restrictions
what machines it runs on?

Thanks in advance
	Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536

From: Jim Rees
Subject: Re: What was Apollo Domain Lisp?
In article <······················@wavehh.hanse.de>, ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

  I saw some references to "Apollo Domain Lisp".
  If you know what it was, could you please drop me a short note?

It seems to me it was some dialect of Common Lisp.  No one I knew ever used
it.  The popular choice was T, a Scheme dialect, which was available free
from Yale.  My brother did a lot of the work on it.  I suppose I should dig
up a copy and add it to the UM Apollo Archive.

If you're looking for a lisp to run today, you might consider Scheme 48,
available from the Archive.
From: Peter Lucas
In <················@luckey.citi.umich.edu> ····@umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:

>In article <······················@wavehh.hanse.de>, ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:
>
>  I saw some references to "Apollo Domain Lisp".
>  If you know what it was, could you please drop me a short note?
>
>It seems to me it was some dialect of Common Lisp.  No one I knew ever used
>it.  The popular choice was T, a Scheme dialect, which was available free
>from Yale.  My brother did a lot of the work on it.  I suppose I should dig
>up a copy and add it to the UM Apollo Archive.

It was probably Lucid Common Lisp (Steele, 1st edition) for Apollo
(now HP 9000/300) workstations.

Peter
--
Peter Lucas
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
From: Frank A. Adrian
Peter Lucas <·····@cs.ruu.nl> wrote in article
<··········@krant.cs.ruu.nl>...
writes:

> >In article <······················@wavehh.hanse.de>,
········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

> >  I saw some references to "Apollo Domain Lisp".
> >  If you know what it was, could you please drop me a short note?
> >
> >It seems to me it was some dialect of Common Lisp.  No one I knew ever
used
> >it.  The popular choice was T, a Scheme dialect, which was available
free
> >from Yale.  My brother did a lot of the work on it.  I suppose I should
dig
> >up a copy and add it to the UM Apollo Archive.
>
> It was probably Lucid Common Lisp (Steele, 1st edition) for Apollo
> (now HP 9000/300) workstations.

There were actually 2 Apollo Domain Lisps - the first, a port of PSL, from
early in
the workstation's lifetime; the second, indeed, a version of Lucid Common
Lisp.
Depending on the time frame, the system could be either.

Best regards,
Frank A. Adrian
From: Bob Palmer
In article <······················@wavehh.hanse.de> ········@wavehh.hanse.de writes:
>I saw some references to "Apollo Domain Lisp".

Apollo Domain Lisp was pre-Common-Lisp (I never used it), and was superseded
by Domain/CommonLisp (I did use this).

Domain/CommonLisp was Lucid CommonLisp (LCL) from Lucid (now Harlequin), and
is not on their current product list. The last release was around 1990/91,
and that came directly from Lucid instead of going through Apollo. (Lucid since
has folded, and the Lisp stuff was acquired by Harlequin.)

There were separate versions for tne m68k machines, and the DN10K. The compilers
generated native code. LCL has fairly typical CL extensions, is pre-ANSI but has
many ANSI features even in the old Apollo versions. There was a foreign function
interface, and I think the Apollo versions even allowed foreign to lisp callbacks.

I believe that LCL requires at least SR10. I would not want to try anything pre-DN3000.
A DN3000 max'ed out to 8MB of RAM would be kind of light. (But then I used
to run Univ of Utah's PSL on a DN320 with 2MB of RAM ;-)) I used DN3500's and
DN4500's with 32MB, and for their time these machines provided a good environment.
As I recall, you needed the last release to be able to run LCL on a 9000/4xx machine
or on a DN5500. I know you needed this release for all the '040 machines, but I
forget if that was also required for the non-'040 9000/4xx machines.

As far as getting it, I have no idea.

-- bob

--
···@remlap.cts.com