From: Ben Edgington
Subject: Re: No longer: Parallelism
Will> Alberto C Moreira (········@nine.com) wrote:

ACM> I thought civilization as we know it ends at the Berkshires, and a
ACM> few miles south of I90. :-)

Will> The Berkshires?? You're generous! I think civilization is long
Will> gone by the time you hit Worcester. Doesn't start up again til
Will> past Bridgeport, but by then it's, as you say, not civilization as
Will> we know it. They have some kind of strange red soup they call
Will> "clam chowder". Go figure.

What's all this Berkshires nonsense?  I live in Berkshire (UK), and it
seems pretty civilized - apart, that is, from an infestation of PC
hardware and software vendors.  However, it is due to be abolished in
1998...

By a strange coincidence, I'm off to Worcester tonight - up the M5
(where is the I90???).

Ben Edgington
Reading University (UK!)

--

Civilisation as *we* know it ends somewhere in the North Atlantic.

From: Alberto C Moreira
In article <···············@met.rdg.ac.uk>, ···@met.rdg.ac.uk says...
> Will> Alberto C Moreira (········@nine.com) wrote:

> What's all this Berkshires nonsense?  I live in Berkshire (UK), and it
> seems pretty civilized - apart, that is, from an infestation of PC
> hardware and software vendors.  However, it is due to be abolished in
> 1998...
>
> By a strange coincidence, I'm off to Worcester tonight - up the M5
> (where is the I90???).

Let me clarify it for the absentee colonialists: a lesson on
New World geography!

The Berkshires are a mountain range west of Massachusetts. It's a
pleasant area, sprinkled with touristy vacation spots. If you go
from Boston to the Berkshires, chances are you'll use the I90 -
also known as the Mass Pike.

Worcester is a largish town west of Boston, home of Mechanics Hall,
by far the prettiest concert hall I've ever seen. It's decorated
civil war style, with giant pictures of civil war generals all
around the hall. Definitely worth a detour.

I know the M4, I used to go shopping in Slough and spend vacations
in Devon and Cornwall. But where the heck is the M5, is that how
one gets to John O'Groats ?  :-)

Alberto.

From: David Wright
In article <······························@news.tiac.net> ········@nine.com (Alberto C Moreira) writes:

>Let me clarify it for the absentee colonialists: a lesson on
>New World geography!
>
>The Berkshires are a mountain range west of Massachusetts.

*In* the west of Massachusetts.

>Worcester is a largish town west of Boston,

It's a city, not a town.  In fact, it's the second-largest city in New
England (a great trivia question).

Now, if I could just tie this back into computer architecture
somehow...

  -- David Wright :: ······@hi.com :: Not an Official Spokesman for Anyone
     "The difference between a printing press and a modern digital long-
      distance network is that the press produces money much more slowly."
                                    -- Neil Kirby, Lucent Technologies
From: Eugene Miya
In article <··········@clam.Hi.COM>, David Wright <······@nospam.hi.com> wrote:
>Now, if I could just tie this back into computer architecture somehow...

1) Edit the header.  Use a different follow up (proper netiquette).
2) Consult Kidder's Soul of a New Machine; get ideas from that
(it's what started this thread).
3) Know enough about the area in question to keep going (e.g., why don't
waiters on Route 128 restaurants intimately know the PDP-10 (or 6 or 15)
architecture).
4) Many different ways to do it.
5) ...
6) No suggestion #6.
From: Andrew Harrison
Alberto C Moreira wrote:

> The Berkshires are a mountain range west of Massachusetts. It's a
> pleasant area, sprinkled with touristy vacation spots. If you go
> from Boston to the Berkshires, chances are you'll use the I90 -
> also known as the Mass Pike.
>
> Worcester is a largish town west of Boston, home of Mechanics Hall,
> by far the prettiest concert hall I've ever seen. It's decorated
> civil war style, with giant pictures of civil war generals all
> around the hall. Definitely worth a detour.
>
> I know the M4, I used to go shopping in Slough and spend vacations
> in Devon and Cornwall. But where the heck is the M5, is that how
> one gets to John O'Groats ?  :-)

Well that depends very much on where you are starting from.

Regards

Andrew Harrison