From: Birgitta Lastow
Subject: CMU Lisp installation, UltraSparc
I have tried to install CMU Lisp version 17f for Solaris on an
Ultrasparc, but got the following error message:

segv_handler: No mapping fault: 0x00978000
segv_handler: Recursive no mapping fault (stack overflow?)

I have tried with and without the wrapper, and also with lisp -core
lisp.core, but all with the same result.

I even tried to install the version for SunOS, which gave me te
following error message:

segv_handler: No mapping fault: 0x00516000
Bus Error

I saw in a posting concerning GET-INTERNAL-RUN-TIME that there were some
problems with building the CMUCL for UltraSparc. Is the binary version
of CMUCL not compatible with UltraSparcs in general or am I doing
something wrong?

Birgitta Lastow
(········@unix.ling.lu.se)
From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: CMU Lisp installation, UltraSparc
Birgitta Lastow <········@unix.ling.lu.se> writes:

>I have tried to install CMU Lisp version 17f for Solaris on an
>Ultrasparc, but got the following error message:

>segv_handler: No mapping fault: 0x00978000
>segv_handler: Recursive no mapping fault (stack overflow?)

>I have tried with and without the wrapper, and also with lisp -core
>lisp.core, but all with the same result.

With "wrapper", do you mean Casper Dik's workaround (availiable from
http://www.cons.org/cmucl/)? That's odd. The workaround worked (around
:-) for a significant number of people.

If not, please try the version on this Web page and let me know what
other wrapper you are talking about.

If so:
- How did you compile Casper's program. What compiler, what commandline
  switches?
- Do you have Solaris patches 103093-06 for 5.5 and 103640-02 for
  5.5.1 installed? I don't know if they are needed, can you try with
  these applied?

[...]

>I saw in a posting concerning GET-INTERNAL-RUN-TIME that there were some
>problems with building the CMUCL for UltraSparc. Is the binary version
>of CMUCL not compatible with UltraSparcs in general or am I doing
>something wrong?

The standard Solaris binaries from CMU need the wrapper program
avaliable from the Web page shown above to work.

Rebuilding CMUCL is not easy, instructions are on that page
also. Please note the extra steps for recompiling on Solaris 2.5
(unreated to the UltraSparc problem).

There is a full binary version with Solaris/Ultrasparc patches applied
on a Web site, but I don't know if I am allowed to post the address
here. Send me mail if you need it.

I hope you will get by with the workaround from www.cons.org. If not,
let me know.

Martin