From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: Parallelism
David Williams wrote:
>   Yes, I've has several arguments with a programmer where I work. She
> does not believe
>
>  a) You need to know any Computer Science to program well.
>  b) You need to read manuals

[...]
>   I sometimes wonder too....

According to this level of cluelessness, she must have been promoted to
be your boss in the meantime... or is there sexual discrimination in
your company ;-).

The strange thing is, that you get some work done with this clueless
receipts. When you start to work in an environment, it's hard to do a
program from scratch. Take an existing small program and change it so
that it does what you want: it works. Most of the time. In fact, mere
application programming often consists of problems, where "cut'n paste"
programming is appropriate, given that you have enough to copy from.
That's why Visual Basic is a successful programming language.

Another problem is the "clean paper" paralysis. Many people just can't
start writing on a clean sheet of paper. That's why E-mail and Usenet
are so advantaguous over paper communication. There's always something
to start with.

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"