From: Mad
Subject: Lisp
Hello everybody,

                        i'm studying Lisp for 2 weeks now and i would like
to have a few question answered. Is Lisp an Interpreted language? Can i
generate .exe files with it?

I only have Allegro Common Lisp (Win95 Lite Version) and i'm unable to
compile. Where can i get diferent Lisp compiler (Dos or Win 3.x/95)?

TIA,

        Goncalo Farias

PS. Sorry for my poor English.. :/
From: Jim Veitch
Subject: Re: Lisp
Mad wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
>                         i'm studying Lisp for 2 weeks now and i would like
> to have a few question answered. Is Lisp an Interpreted language? Can i
> generate .exe files with it?
>
> I only have Allegro Common Lisp (Win95 Lite Version) and i'm unable to
> compile. Where can i get diferent Lisp compiler (Dos or Win 3.x/95)?

This Lisp only compiles.  There is no interpreter.  The Lite version
lacks a file compiler (i.e. the ability to read in a source code file
and write out a compiled code file).  However source code is compiled as
it loaded in.

The Lite version also lacks the ability to generate application images.

You must buy a supported version to get either of the above
capabilities.

Regards,

Jim Veitch.