From: David Williams
Subject: Re: Parallelism
In article <············@wildcard.demon.co.uk>, Cyber Surfer <cyber_surf
··@wildcard.demon.co.uk> writes

>Are we overrun with "9 to 5" programmers, or are we too busy to
>learn anything more what is absulately necessary in order to do
>our jobs vaguely competently? I sometimes wonder.

  Yes, I've has several arguments with a programmer where I work. She
does not believe

 a) You need to know any Computer Science to program well.
 b) You need to read manuals

  Her idea was that you just take similar working code and copy it!
  She reckons you very very rarely need to write new code and if you
  do "it's simple"!!.

  I had to explain that within a FOR loop you do not need to increment
  the contrl variable!! She has been programming for >5 years and did
  not know what a FOR loop was even though she had supported code which
  used for loops!!

  Also she said that "I never understood logic, it's all very hard".
  Even simple truth tables did not play a factor in her low level
  design of code.

  I sometimes wonder too....

--
David Williams