From: domo baby
Subject: 'idle loop' type handle?
Hi,
	Before anyone asks I had a browse through the latest FAQ and
didnt churn up anything, if its in there then I'll gladly return, but I
dont think it is.

	What I want to do is to hook a function foo into some sort of handle
that will cause foo to be executed at a regular interval.  I understand
that there are dangers in this (e.g. runaway or erroneous functions) but
I'd still like to know and take my chances!  I am using XLISP with
XLISP-STAT (at the moment my solution is to create a hidden graph-window
with idle-on and my function defined as the window do-idle method, real
ugly but whoever said s/w engineering needs to be pretty!) anyway if you
have a better solution please suggest!!!

	My criteria are NOT strict, eg onces every couple of seconds is
fine, also the timing need not be strictly regular, so perhaps tying my
function into the garbage collection mechanism might be a solution
though I suspect this would be very implementation and platform
dependent.

	Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Also (while you are
here, heh heh, I dont have a LISP reference handy, how do I check for
the existence of a file before I try to open it?)

	Good luck and thanks.

				Dom.

PS: I have been working with XLISPSTAT and developed a considerable set
of modular features, specifically in the dynamic graphics area.  Anyone
out there working in the same area willing to collaborate - anyone know
where I can get my hands on the FULL source to XLISP-STAT
(for Macintosh) including the source to the xlisp.wks statup workspace?