From: Rong Zheng
Subject: Newbie question.
Hi everyone,

I am new to lisp.  I just dnloaded the gcl on my linux box.  But I don't
know how to let it read in files.

I tried (load 'filename.lisp), but it doesn't work.  Could someone tell
me how to load files and how to end the gcl.

Other question is about gcl under emacs.  How could you do that?  Could I
debug my program in emacs just like running gdb at c-mode?

Thank in advanced for your help.

Rong Zheng
······@ece.arizona.edu
======================
From: Nat Makarevitch
Subject: Re: Newbie question.
Rong Zheng writes:

> I am new to lisp.  I just dnloaded  the gcl on my linux box.
> But I don't know how to let it read in files.

(load "filename")

>  how to end the gcl.

hit control-D
or use "(bye)"

> Other question is about gcl under emacs.  How could you do that?

with ILISP
read its "info" node (C-h i)

add to your ~/.emacs:
-=-=-=
    (require 'completer)
    (autoload 'run-ilisp "ilisp" "Select a new inferior LISP." t)
    (autoload 'gcl "ilisp" "Inferior GNU Common LISP." t)
    (setq clisp-program "ilisp"
          gcl-program "gcl"
          ecl-program "gcl")

    (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook '(lambda ()
                                 (require 'ilisp)
                                 (font-lock-mode 1)
                                 (abbrev-mode 1)))
=-=-=-

> Could I debug my program in emacs just like running gdb at c-mode?

that not a real option with Lisp, which can be intepreted. please read the
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp.html, the Lisp FAQ and a then a good
textbook.

--
Nat    Linux