From: Tom McClure
Subject: re: replacing the windows shell with ACL4WIN version 3
Stephan Papageorgiou--

You wrote:
  I read in the ACL 2.0 and 3.0 for windows faqs that it was possible to
  replace the windows shell with ACL version 1.0 but no longer is (no
  specific reason was given as far as I could see). Has anybody figured
  out if it's possible to do with 2.0/3.0 in win 3.1, win 95 or even NT?

Windows 3.x only supports 16-bit shell replacements, even with 32s,
apparently because it loads the shell before 32s.  ACL4Win 1.0 was
a 16-bit app, but 2.0/3.0.x are 32-bit applications.

You can do this in Windows 95 and NT, though, by setting the Shell=
line in the [boot] section of your system.ini file to:

Shell=[my-allegro-path]\lisp.exe [my-allegro-path]\my-image.img

Yes, Windows 95 still looks at system.ini and win.ini.  If you don't
specify an image you will be prompted for one at startup.  Generally
you would use allegro.img.  The Explorer does not come up, but a
"taskman" is still available for starting apps and quitting windows
altogether: ctrl-esc will pop it up, or if you're in NT I think you
can just double-click on the wallpaper.

If you just want Allegro to run every time you start Windows, (A) for
Win95, copy a shortcut into the Startup folder, or (B) for WinNT/3.x,
create a Program Item in the Startup folder or add it (as above) to
the load= line in your win.ini file.

 -tom

Tom McClure - ยทยทยทยท@franz.com - Franz Inc., 1995 University Ave, Suite
275
(510) 548-3600, FAX 548-8253 - Berkeley, CA  94704-1072
ACL FAQs: www.franz.com/Support/ or ftp.franz.com/pub/*faq