From: Netscape User
Subject: How to test a lisp program
Hi Lisp programming Gurus,

Please be prepared to laugh at me and then feel sorry for me.

I am starting to learn how to program in Lisp. Therefore, I found
myself a book on programming in Lisp (for beginners). The book
explains the syntax OK. However, I could not find any instructions as
to how I can compile or test my program (in lisp) as well as what a
filename format should be.

Could anyone please help me out of this dark age? Also, if you know
any good books on this, could you be kind to give me a reference?

Deeply appreciate your response.

A Novice.

From: Louis Bianchi
Subject: Re: How to test a lisp program
>Hi Lisp programming Gurus,
>
>Please be prepared to laugh at me and then feel sorry for me.
>
>I am starting to learn how to program in Lisp. Therefore, I found
>myself a book on programming in Lisp (for beginners). The book
>explains the syntax OK. However, I could not find any instructions as
>to how I can compile or test my program (in lisp) as well as what a
>filename format should be.
>
>Could anyone please help me out of this dark age? Also, if you know
>any good books on this, could you be kind to give me a reference?

You could find the information in the FAQS.  Off the top of my head,
the FAQ can be found in seven sections from the FTP archives of
rtfm.mit.edu.
From: ········@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
In article <···········@news.doit.wisc.edu>, ·············@facstaff.wisc.edu (Netscape User) writes:
> Hi Lisp programming Gurus,
>
> Please be prepared to laugh at me and then feel sorry for me.
>
> I am starting to learn how to program in Lisp. Therefore, I found
> myself a book on programming in Lisp (for beginners). The book
> explains the syntax OK. However, I could not find any instructions as
> to how I can compile or test my program (in lisp) as well as what a
> filename format should be.
>
> Could anyone please help me out of this dark age? Also, if you know
> any good books on this, could you be kind to give me a reference?

I'm learning LISP too, and picked up 'LISP' by Winston and Horn.
I have also converted XLISP into a function call useful for
an application that needs an online interpreter, what fun :)

-G

From: Jens Kilian
I'd send this as a private reply, but somehow I doubt it would arrive at the
correct "Netscape User (·············@facstaff.wisc.edu)" ...

> Please be prepared to laugh at me and then feel sorry for me.

Nobody here will laugh at somebody who wants to learn Lisp.  There are too
few Lisp programmers in the world.  Welcome to the asyl^H^H^H^Hfold.

> I am starting to learn how to program in Lisp. Therefore, I found
> myself a book on programming in Lisp (for beginners). The book
> explains the syntax OK. However, I could not find any instructions as
> to how I can compile or test my program (in lisp) as well as what a
> filename format should be.

Obviously, you need a Lisp interpreter or compiler to start with.  Since you
didn't tell us what computer you are using, I can only point you to the list
of free (and commercial) Lisp implementations contained in the FAQ, which
is posted here regularly and which is also available on the WWW at

	http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/lisp-faq/top.html

If you are using an interactive Common Lisp system, you can load a Lisp
program by typing

	(load "filename")

at the command prompt.  You can then call the functions defined in that file,
also from the command line.

A widely available Common Lisp system is GCL (GNU Common Lisp).  You may also
want to look at Scheme, which is simpler and *much* smaller than Common Lisp
(the whole Scheme standard is smaller than the index of the Common Lisp
standard ...)

> Could anyone please help me out of this dark age? Also, if you know
> any good books on this, could you be kind to give me a reference?

The Lisp FAQ (see above) contains a few references.

Greetings,

	Jens.
--
Internet:  ·····@hpbbn.bbn.hp.com  Phone: (0|+49)7031-14-4785 (TELNET 778-4785)