From: Tad Kellogg
Subject: gcl, clx and linux
Hi,

Does anyone have gcl with clx support compiled for linux,
or perhaps the compiling instructions.

I've tried compling gcl2.1 with CLX5.0-gcl2.1, but the resulting
gcl binary complains with a memory error when call the function
open-window.

Thanks in advance,

Tad

---
email: ·······@metronet.com
From: Brian Leverich
Subject: Re: gcl, clx and linux
Tad Kellogg (···@malacite.metronet.com) wrote:

: Does anyone have gcl with clx support compiled for linux,
: or perhaps the compiling instructions.

: I've tried compling gcl2.1 with CLX5.0-gcl2.1, but the resulting
: gcl binary complains with a memory error when call the function
: open-window.

The GCL developers broke CLX when they implemented their Tk/TCL
interface, and in principle CLX5.0-gcl2.1 should fix the problem.

However, you aren't the only one for whom it didn't work straight
out of the box.  I haven't had the chance yet to figure out what's
still broken.

The easiest solution is to use an older version of Linux (say,
circa December 94), gcl-1.1, and standard CLX (which can be made
to go with only minor patches for the endianness of Linux and
such).

Free advice, though: you will save yourself grief if you do your
GUI hacking using any of the bazillions of nonLisp GUI tools out
there and then glue your GUI onto your Lisp-based engine.  Most
Lisp GUI tools like CLX, Garnet, ... , are now unsupported and
the ravages of software rot make their use moby painful.

--
Dr. Brian Leverich
Information Systems Scientist, The RAND Corporation