From: Miami International Forwarders
Subject: SNOBOL
[ Article crossposted from comp.lang.cobol ]
[ Author was Miami International Forwarders ]
[ Posted on 18 Sep 1995 13:29:33 GMT ]

Has anyone heard of SNOBOL or BLP.  BTW, what is the meaning of the
acronym COBOL?  How about SNOBOL and BLP?
Thanking you for your replies
__PC

From: Dave Dyer
Subject: Re: SNOBOL

 : Has anyone heard of SNOBOL or BLP.  BTW, what is the meaning of the
 : acronym COBOL?  How about SNOBOL and BLP?
 : Thanking you for your replies
 : __PC

Try asking about SNOBOL on alt.sys.pdp10

SNOBOL was a string processing/pattern matching language available
on Dec 10's back in the first sheet metal age of computing.

--
---
My home page: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/dd/ddyer/home.html
From: Dennis Darland
Snobol is an old string processing language.  Last I knew there was a dos
version without floating point at ftp.arizona.edu.  You can also get
several versions of Icon there -- a modern block structured string
processing language created by the same people.

Dennis Darland, Treasurer, The Bertrand Russell Society
·········@bix.com
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."
Bertrand Russell
From: Bill Schottstaedt
In article <···············@netcom.com> ·····@netcom.com (Dave Dyer)
writes:

>  : Has anyone heard of SNOBOL or BLP.  BTW, what is the meaning of the
>  : acronym COBOL?  How about SNOBOL and BLP?

A reference might be: Griswold, Poage, and Polonsky "The
SNOBOL4 Programming Language" Prentice-Hall, 1968.
There was an article in Journal of ACM 11, 1, 1964.
Successors were FASBOL and SPITBOL -- I have the
reference manuals for these but seem to have lost my
SNOBOL stuff.  In the case of FASBOL, they say "the
name FASBOL ...has no other significance besides the
obvious one".