From: David Neves
Subject: Re: Port MCL to Windows
In article <··········@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, Devin Hosea
<·····@interi.com> wrote:

:  I threw out this idea for discussion a few months ago, and I never got a
:  good answer from the guys at Digitool:
:
:  Why not port MCL to Windows?
I never much liked CLIM (version 1.0) as a standard interface because it
didn't allow the low level control we needed.  Perhaps CLIM 2.0 is better
but I don't see that becoming popular because of its size and price.

Although MCL was developed for the Mac much of it could be considered as a
blueprint for a cross platform interface.  For an example of how this
might be started see emumcl.zip in the contrib directory at digitool.com.
emumcl.zip emulates a part of MCL in Franz's Allegro Lisp for Windows.

This is an area where Lisp could jump ahead of some of the other
languages.  It is up to Franz or Digitool to start things off.  Franz
could approach Digitool to license part of the MCL interface and source
code.  Digitool could announce availability of licensing or could even put
a subset of their interface in the public domain.