From: Cyber Surfer
Subject: Re: Hey Franz: 32K Windows SUCK!!!!!
In article <··········@news.ccit.arizona.edu>
           ·····@interi.com "Devin Hosea" writes:

> I like the fact that Franz has put quite a bit of effort into making a
> decent CL for Windows, and it is primarily due to their effort that CL
> has stayed alive, period.  That being said...
>
> WHY DON'T THEY FIX THEIR EDITOR SO IT CAN HANDLE FILES LARGER THAN 32K?

Do they use the MS Windows edit window class? If so, then that's where
the 32K limit is. If you use Windows NT or Windows 95, the limit should
be larger than 32K. Much larger.

> It is a huge pain in the ass.  It is the single reason many people,
> including me, will not switch from MCL to ACL (I admit, MCL is better,
> but who wants to run on a 68040 when one can use a 133mhz pentium
> instead).

I know. It's why I'll be upgrading the operating system on my machine
in the near future. I'm currently just waiting for to upgrade the hardware,
which will probably be sometime in the next month or two.

> When will Franz fix this problem!?  Will ACL3.0 have bigger editor
> windows?  (They promised me that 2.0 would, but it doesn't).
>
> Does anyone know of any way to fix or fudge this problem?

Try NT. ;-) Seriously.

Franz could reverse engineer their own edit window class, but then
so could everyone else, and yet they've not done it. Franz had enough
good sense to use the Win32 API, which means that ACL for Windows can
run on any (x86) platform that supports the Win32 API - like NT, Win95,
or even plain old Windows, if you also install the Win32s subsystem.

However, if they're using their own edit windows, then I don't understand
why there's a problem. Since this is far from unique, it's more likely
that Franz took the same short cut that everyone else did. In the case
of a Win32-based development system like ACL for Windows, I can't blame
them for that choice. In the long term, it makes more sense.
--
<URL:http://www.demon.co.uk/community/index.html>
<URL:http://www.enrapture.com/cybes/namaste.html>
From: Curt Eggemeyer
>> I like the fact that Franz has put quite a bit of effort into making a
>> decent CL for Windows, and it is primarily due to their effort that CL
>> has stayed alive, period.  That being said...
>>
>> WHY DON'T THEY FIX THEIR EDITOR SO IT CAN HANDLE FILES LARGER THAN 32K?

Any s/w impose limit sucks , however there are always workarounds. I, myself,
prefer small files. I have a 20k line planner/scheduler software in which
the files are usually less than 3 pages long. If you use Franz's
implementation of defsystem, then who cares how many files you have.