From: Mike McDonald
Subject: Re: Port MCL to Windows
In article <··········@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, Devin Hosea <·····@interi.com> writes:
>I threw out this idea for discussion a few months ago, and I never got a
>good answer from the guys at Digitool:
>
>Why not port MCL to Windows?
>
>Follow the reasoning:
>
>	(1) Everyone agrees that MCL is the best LISP environment

  Let's don't get carried away here! :-)

>	(2) Everyone agrees (like it or not) that Windows is the dominant
>	     operating system, and will likely become more dominant.
>
>The current split between Windows and MacOS on desktop machines is about
>90/10, or so I understand.  Therefore, Digitool would increase its
>market size 9-fold by porting MCL to Windows.  It would also have a much
>easier time getting funding to do so, because 99% of the corporate world
>believes that Macs and the MacOS is moribund.
>
>Please, somebody at Digitool, or somebody else, tell me why you're not
>considering this?
>
>DFH

  Even though the Windows market may be 9 times larger, the real question is will
it be large enough to offset the costs involved in doing the "port"? I wouldn't
be surprised if porting MCL to Windows consisted of starting over from scratch.
Another question Digitool has to ask themselves is do they really want to get
into the Windows business? And if so, do they have the expertise to do so or how
are they going to get it?

--

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@engr.sgi.com