From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind
Subject: all I want for Christmas
My Christmas wishlist:

1. A complete GNUEMacs ILisp defdialect for Gambit-C.
2. A complete Xlib FFI binding for Gambit-C that is plug-compatible with
   the one provided with Scheme->C.

Does anybody have either of the above? If not, is there some enterprising
young Santa who would be willing to take on these two projects? In either case
I would be eternally gratefull.

    Jeff (home page http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~qobi)
--

    Jeff (home page http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~qobi)
From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: all I want for Christmas
As one of the maintainers of ILISP, I feel I need to respond to this.

First of all the current maintainers of ILISP (myself, Marco
Antoniotti, and Rick Busdiecker) are not the original writers of the
package. We merely try to provide bug fixes and new releases which
incorporate as much of what appears on the ILISP mailing list. (Many
thanks to Erik Naggum who is kindly hosting it right now on his
systems).

   From: ·······@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor])
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp,comp.lang.scheme
   Date: 27 Sep 1995 09:12:15 +0100
   Sender: ·······@marvin.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de

   Jeffrey> My Christmas wishlist:
   Jeffrey> 1. A complete GNUEMacs ILisp defdialect for Gambit-C.

   I once did one for Elk.  It was a major pain, because ILisp makes
   many assumptions about the underlying lisp dialect specific to Common
   Lisp.

That is true. ILISP was writtem mainly for CL.  Trying to integrate
any Scheme is difficult but not undoable.  Allow me to point out that,
IMHO, the Scheme landscape is far more fragmented and messy than the
CL one.  Hence maintaining a CL based product is simpler.  The
maintainers will accept most contributions and for more complex
packages which are harder to integrate due to their time constraints
and knowledge (such as Mark Siskind's debugger) will simply put them
in the release with the advice to play around with them and give
feedback.

   It will also indent your Scheme programs in CL style.

This is not a feature of ILISP. ILISP does not do any indentation.
What needs to be changed is the underlying Lisp or Scheme mode and
their intrplay with ILISP.

   Also, it needs some supporting routines (such as an objlist)
   from the underlying Scheme system which Gambit-C doesn't have.

   I sent patches to the ILisp people on several instances which they
   chose to ignore.  Even though my Elk port worked fine, I switched back
   to cmuscheme after a while.  It just isn't that great.

As far as my mail archives go since I took over the maintainance of
ILISP (circa May 94), there are now such submissions.  You are most
definitively welcome to submit your changes to the ILISP mailing list
(·····@naggum.no) and we will try to integrate it in the next release.

Happy '((I) lisping)
--
Marco Antoniotti