From: Advanced Procurement Systems
Subject: LISP for PC Platforms
Are there any good Common LISP implementations for the PC platform (OS/2,
DOS, or Windows(yuck))?  XLISP has enough differences form Common Lisp to
make running larger Common LISP programs a general pain, and PC-Lisp is a
variant of Franz LISP, which is definitely not Common LISP compatible.
If so, are their any LISP->C conversion programs for the PC platform.  I
heard that AKCL had a PC version, located at UTEXAS, but the I couldn't
find it.

Thanks in advance ....

Jeffrey Stewart

.

From: Devin Hosea
Subject: Re: LISP for PC Platforms
···@bga.com (Advanced Procurement Systems) wrote:
>Are there any good Common LISP implementations for the PC platform (OS/2,
>DOS, or Windows(yuck))?  XLISP has enough differences form Common Lisp to
>make running larger Common LISP programs a general pain, and PC-Lisp is a
>variant of Franz LISP, which is definitely not Common LISP compatible.
>If so, are their any LISP->C conversion programs for the PC platform.  I
>heard that AKCL had a PC version, located at UTEXAS, but the I couldn't
>find it.
>
>Thanks in advance ....
>
>Jeffrey Stewart

The only decent package for PCs is Allegro Common Lisp for Windows from Franz.  Anything else is vastly inferior.

DFH

From: Dennis Corbo

>The only decent package for PCs is Allegro Common Lisp for Windows
from Franz.  Anything else is vastly inferior.

>DFH

What is your humble opinion about Golden Common Lisp for Windows from
Gold Hill, Inc., Cambridge, MA?  I am not a LISP expert but the
implementation seems sound and fairly complete.  Gold Hill also has an
optional database interface package using ODBC.

Dennis Corbo
······@ix.netcom.com
From: Karsten Poeck
In article <··········@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, ······@ix.netcom.com
(Dennis Corbo ) wrote:

> >The only decent package for PCs is Allegro Common Lisp for Windows
> from Franz.  Anything else is vastly inferior.
> >
> >DFH
> >>

> What is your humble opinion about Golden Common Lisp for Windows from
> Gold Hill, Inc., Cambridge, MA?  I am not a LISP expert but the
> implementation seems sound and fairly complete.  Gold Hill also has an
> optional database interface package using ODBC.

I second the ACL4W proposal, we moved from GoldHill to ACL4W for our app
and this turned out to be a very wise decision. The compiler, the
environment and most important the support is an order of magnitude better
with ACL4W than with GoldHill.

Karsten

 Dr. Karsten A. Poeck, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI, Universitaet Wuerzburg
From: B. Boone
Karsten Poeck (·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de) wrote:
: In article <··········@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, ······@ix.netcom.com
: (Dennis Corbo ) wrote:

: > >>
: > >The only decent package for PCs is Allegro Common Lisp for Windows
: > from Franz.  Anything else is vastly inferior.
: > >
: > >DFH
: > >>
: >
: > What is your humble opinion about Golden Common Lisp for Windows from
: > Gold Hill, Inc., Cambridge, MA?  I am not a LISP expert but the
: > implementation seems sound and fairly complete.  Gold Hill also has an
: > optional database interface package using ODBC.

: I second the ACL4W proposal, we moved from GoldHill to ACL4W for our app
: and this turned out to be a very wise decision. The compiler, the
: environment and most important the support is an order of magnitude better
: with ACL4W than with GoldHill.

: Karsten

:  Dr. Karsten A. Poeck, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI, Universitaet Wuerzburg

Where can these be found??

Billy