From: Alan MacDonald
Subject: Re: arbitrary-precision real arithmetic
In article <··········@cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu>, Lawrence C Paulson
···@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Does anybody know of recent work on implementing arbitrary-precision
real
> arithmetic?  I'm especially interested in work based upon Jean
Vuillemin's 1988
> paper "Exact Real Computer Arithmetic with Continued Fractions", though
other
> methods would also be welcome.

I have an ML implementation. It is directly translated from
Valerie Menissie's CAML implementation, which in turn, was
based on Jean Vuillemin's lisp implementation (now lost).
I used Chris Reade's imp. of lazy lists to do CAML streams.

I did this about a year ago. It is complete (as far as I recall)
except for parsing & printing. It's not very clever & is ENTIRELY
UNTESTED  (other duties got in the way of me completing it).
Also, it was written very quickly late at night.

If anyone wants a copy after all these caveats, mail me.