From: David Neves
Subject: Re: How to continuously update information?
In article <··········@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, Devin Hosea <·····@interi.com> wrote:

:  I am writing an application in Allegro Lisp for Windows 2.0, and I have
:  the need for a loop to run "continuously" in order to update
:  time-sensitive information in the windows.
I seem to remember a NULL event that gets sent to windows periodically.  You could write a method for that event to update your windows.  I think the info is in the event chapter of the manual.
-David

From: Alex Kilpatrick
In article <······················@neves.ils.nwu.edu>,
   ·····@ils.nwu.edu (David Neves) wrote:
>In article <··········@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, Devin Hosea <·····@interi.com>
wrote:

>:  I am writing an application in Allegro Lisp for Windows 2.0, and I have
>:  the need for a loop to run "continuously" in order to update
>:  time-sensitive information in the windows.
>I seem to remember a NULL event that gets sent to windows periodically.  You
> could write a method for that event to update your windows.  I think the
> info is in the event chapter of the manual.
>-David

I don't know about a NULL event, but there is a 'timer' event that you can
use.  It is described on page 9-7 of the Common Graphics Reference Guide.  You
can define a custom event handler for your window that uses the timer event
(see pg 9-2 on how to do this).  You can also set the timer interval to
whatever you want, using set-timer-interval.  I'm not sure how small you can
set it, though.  I used this method to make an interactive simulation that was
updated once per second, and it worked quite well.

Alex
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi
David Neves (·····@ils.nwu.edu) wrote:
: In article <··········@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, Devin Hosea <·····@interi.com> wrote:

: :  I am writing an application in Allegro Lisp for Windows 2.0, and I have
: :  the need for a loop to run "continuously" in order to update
: :  time-sensitive information in the windows.
: I seem to remember a NULL event that gets sent to windows periodically.  You could write a method for that event to update your windows.  I think the info is in the event chapter of the manual.
: -David

Or, perhaps, he just need the sleep function?