From: Thomas Olsson
Subject: GCL on DEC-Alpha+Which X-Lisp??
Hello Lisp users,

   I hope I have posted this in the right groups, if not, please do
accept my appologies.

   I am a PhD researcher at Staffordshire University, and I am currently
looking into which LISP implementation we are to use.  We have a
DEC-Alpha 2100 to our disposal.  We have a copy of the sources for gcl,
xgcl and clx, but we cant get them to build on our machine.  There is no
machine def file for the Alpha box.  Is there anyone out there that has
succesfully built gcl on an Alpha box?

   Question 2, what x implementation of LISP would you people recomend
us to use?  We have been thinking of using Garnet together with gcl, but
as Garnet is no longer supported, is this a good choice?  I am sure that
many of you are using Lisp on X plattforms, so please give me some
advice.

   We will eventually teach Lisp to undergraduates as well, so it is
getting high time to get a new implementation up and running.  Today we
teach it using kcl, which works but is a bit dated.

   Any ideas, hints, tips etc are greatly appreciated,

Very Best Regards,
--
  Thomas Olsson, Researcher     http://www.soc.staffs.ac.uk/~cmrdto
  Staffordshire University      ·················@soc.staffs.ac.uk
From: Aaron Sloman
Subject: Re: GCL on DEC-Alpha+Which X-Lisp??
····@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) writes:

> Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:29:34 GMT

> I used PopLog Common Lisp some years back.  I'm not sure how much
> it's changed since then or, in particular, how far it's moved from
> the 1st edition of CLtL Common Lisp to 2nd edition CLtL or ANSI
> Common Lisp.

I asked John Williams, the main Lisp implementor in the Poplog
development team (at ISL and Sussex University) and he said:

    "Poplog 15 Common Lisp is a near-complete implementation of
    CLtL2, the only omissions being user-defined method combination,
    the new pretty printer, and `compile-file'".

[jeff]
> BUT:  The CLOS question.
>
> I don't know anything about CLOS in PopLog CL.  I didn't try
> to use it.

The online Poplog Lisp News file states:

1994 Apr 28 (John Williams)
    o Poplog Common Lisp now includes an almost complete implementation
    of CLOS (the Common Lisp Object System) as discussed in Steele 1990,
    Chapter 28. The main omission is that currently only standard method
    combination is supported.

But I can't comment on how well it is implemented. If you fetch the
free Linux Poplog from

	ftp://ftp.cogs.susx.ac.uk/pub/poplog/poplog15.0

you'll be able to check for yourself, and perhaps post a summary.

Aaron
--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs )
School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham, B15 2TT, England