From: Brian Findley
Subject: Files and directory functions in Allegro CL 4.2
I'm using Allegro CL 4.2 and I noticed there are not  many functions that give me
information on files and/or directories (the only one I found that has limited usefulness
is 'probe-file') .  I'm looking for a function that tells me if a file/directory is readable
(also writable, if possible).  I can access these function in Emacs-lisp (using the 'lep'
package), but it seems to be very slow.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Brian
From: Curt Eggemeyer
Subject: Re: Files and directory functions in Allegro CL 4.2
What you can do is use the Allegro shell commands and munge on what they
return. Refer to the Allegro CL manual Vol. 1, Chapter 8.

e.g.

(run-shell-command "ls -als")