From: Bruce S. Tobin
Subject: Best CL for Linux?
 What is the best freely available Common Lisp implementation for Linux,
from the standpoint of:

1. Performance

2. Robustness

3. Completeness

 BTW, does anyone know of any attempts to port CMU CL to Linux? Thanks.

From: Al Slater
Subject: Re: Best CL for Linux?
Scott Musman (musman) wrote:
: ······@infinet.com (Bruce S. Tobin) wrote:

: 	There is no right answer to your question. CLISP works well under Linux and is
: definately the best system to use when you only have a limited amount of RAM (8
: meg or less). Unfortunately CLISP only byte compiles the code, which limits
: it's performance (e.g. a large window system like Garnet, runs annoyingly slow
: on a 486/66). It also has no foreign function interface, so it doesn't interact
: well with other languages.

Wrong.
It HAS got an FFI :-)
Right - Garnet will go like a pig. On the other hand, there is a patch for
it in the contrib directory on ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
/pub/lisp/clisp/contrib that might speed up garnet slightly...although
it seems to be a lost cause ..

: 	Both lisps are basically CLTL-1 lisps, and can work fine for many
: applications. Neither of them are multi-threaded. The last time I checked,
: there were difficulties getting things like CLX, and other PD systems to run
: under GCL. I don't think any of these problems are fundementally hard to get
: around, it's just that alot of PD got ported to AKCL (the predecessor of GCL)
: and now get confused by the fact the GCL has a different *features* list. Both
: Lisps have limited debugging capabilities, and debugging in CLISP is pretty
: much impossible unless you use interpreted code.

Umm, CLISP has bits from CLtL2, too :-) and CLX will go with it.
If you are desperate to get to compiled code I think you can wire up
CLiCC to CLISP, although there are limitations to this...

: 	If you are really adventurous, there is a newly released demo package that
: contains a common lisp called POPLOG. It also has Prolog, Standard ML and a
: language called POP-11. It has it's own embedded and extensible editor, etc.
: Unfortunately the free version of POPLOG has certain limitations that limit the
: size of programs you can run in it, and has other restrictions to it. If you
: get hooked on it though, I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you the
: non-restricted version ;-/ Check out:
: 	ftp://ftp.cogs.susx.ac.uk/pub/poplog/poplog15.0

Its big too. Pop's quite cute though, and having a bag of goodies to play
with is nice, even if its restricted..

cheers,
al
(the full version of Poplog wasnt cheap though...unless they've changed it?)
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi

: Unfortunately CLISP only byte compiles the code, which limits
: it's performance (e.g. a large window system like Garnet,
: runs annoyingly slow on a 486/66). It also has no foreign
: function interface, so it doesn't interact well with other languages.

Clisp _has_ a foreign function interface.