From: George Smith
Subject: status of ANSI draft standard
I have taken a look at the documents variously entitled Reviewer-Notes or
README in the following directories at ftp://parcftp.xerox.com

/pub/cl/dpANS1
/pub/cl/dpANS2
/pub/cl/dpANS3
/pub/cl/dpANS3R

I am trying to decide whether or not to download and print any of the
"Product Files" from /pub/cl/dpANS2 or what are not yet official Product
Files in /pub/cl/dpANS3(R)

The ca. 1300 pages is a lot to print, so I would like to try to make an
intelligent decision. My purpose in printing them would be to have
information beyond CLtL2 and the various textbooks and manuals that I have,
so that I can 1) have a further reference to use alongside Steele for those
situations where I need more detail or perhaps just a different explanation of
the same thing, and 2) get feeling for the direction common lisp is heading.

Printing the Product Files in /pub/cl/dpANS2 would give me a document that
is out of date, but will at least continue to have historical value.
Printing the files in /pub/cl/dpANS3 and substituting the one changed
file in /dpANS3R would give me a current internal document, but one that will
(I assume) probably not be identical to the 3rd draft standard. Are the
changes that will probably be made before the acceptance of a 3rd draft
standard likely to be substantial? (By substantial, I mean substantial to a
programmer not involved in the standardization proceedings who in practice
deals with one implementation of common lisp.)

If a third draft standard is right around the corner I could wait a month or
two, but I find myself increasingly in need of a reference source that I can
use parallel to CLtL2.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me,

George Smith

Fachbereich Germanistik
FU-Berlin
······@zedat.fu-berlin.de