From: Tom Ellman
Subject: Artificial Intelligence Programmer Job
          ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE PROGRAMMER POSITION

The High-Performance Computing and Design (HPCD) Project in the
Laboratory for Computer Science at Rutgers University is looking
for a programmer to support research in ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE,
COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN and NUMERICAL/SYMBOLIC/SCIENTIFIC COMPUTATION.

Duties:

Developing, implementing and maintaining experimental computer
programs for for simulation and optimization of engineering designs.
Developing and implemeting tools to support automatic or
semi-automatic construction of simulation and optimization codes.
Developing and implementing graphical user interfaces to support
automated design and automated software construction.  Performing
system maintenance and administration, including installing and
maintaining system software.  Coordinating code and coding standards
for the research project.

Qualifications:

Requires either a Masters Degree or Bachelor's degree in computer
science or related field, and least two years experience in
LISP and either C or FROTRAN programming on Unix systems. Requires
knowledge of X systems, understanding of basic algorithms and data
structures and their perofrmance implications, ability to deal with
complex and evolving experimental programs, and effective
interpersonal skills.  Knowledge of Artificial Intelligence and
Numerical Analysis techniques is preferred.

Salary Range:  Approximately.  $40,000-$55,000

The HPCD Project:

The HPCD Project is an ARPA-funded, multi-university,
multi-disciplinary research project, whose goal is to study the
application of Artificial Intelligence and other areas of Computer
Science, of Computational Science (especially Computational Fluid
Dynamics), and of high-performance computing to problems of design.
Design tasks we are currently working on include design of jet engine
inlets and nozzles, container ships, microprocessors, and
microlithography processes.  The HPCD Project is centered at Rutgers
University in New Brunswick, NJ, where the person hired for this
position would be located.

To apply:

Send (hard copy) resumes to
    Karen McGee
    Personnel Department
    Rutgers University
    New Brunswick, NJ 08903
    (908) 445-3020

Refer to "posting number AP 048".  (This is required
to officially apply for the job.)

In addition, I would appreciate a copy be sent to me by email
(preferred) at ······@cs.rutgers.edu or US mail:

    Prof. Tom Ellman
    Dept. of Computer Science
    Hill Center, Busch Campus
    Rutgers University
    Piscataway, NJ 08855-1089

Feel free to contact me for further information at either my email
or US mail address.