From: Jeff Lipton
Subject: SAINT integration algorithm
Does anyone know whether the code for the original SAINT symbolic
integration program is available on-line? I've always been curious
to take a look at it and try it. Thank you for any pointers.
(Note - I've tried web searches, "archie", etc. with little luck).
Thank You,
 - Jeff

| Jeffrey F. Lipton, M.D. (···@panix.com) |   (212)-663-9333 (home)          |
| 8 W. 95th St., #3  NY, NY 10025         | Fundamentalist: One with whom    |
+-WWW: http://www.panix.com/~jfl -----there is something fundamentally wrong.|

From: Richard J Fateman
Subject: Re: SAINT integration algorithm
In article <··········@panix2.panix.com>, Jeff Lipton <···@panix.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know whether the code for the original SAINT symbolic
>integration program is available on-line? I've always been curious
>to take a look at it and try it. Thank you for any pointers.
>(Note - I've tried web searches, "archie", etc. with little luck).
>Thank You,
> - Jeff

You might try contacting the author, Prof. James Slagle.
I doubt that it is on-line though, since it was written in 1963 or
earlier, and is rather primitive compared to Moses' SIN program,
incorporated in Macsyma.  A version of Macsyma source from 1982
or so is on-line courtesy of Bill Schelter (utexas austin).

I believe that Slagle's program depended heavily on a pattern
matching program ELINST (elementary instance) which was written
in 7090 assembler, and that may not be available.

Slagle's code may be incorporated in his MIT thesis, and may
also be a technical report, perhaps of Lincoln Labs.

--
Richard J. Fateman
·······@cs.berkeley.edu   http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/
From: Charles R. Bond
In <··········@agate.berkeley.edu> ·······@peoplesparc.cs.berkeley.edu
(Richard J Fateman) writes:

>You might try contacting the author, Prof. James Slagle.
>I doubt that it is on-line though, since it was written in 1963 or
>earlier, and is rather primitive compared to Moses' SIN program,
>incorporated in Macsyma.  A version of Macsyma source from 1982
>or so is on-line courtesy of Bill Schelter (utexas austin).
>
>--
>Richard J. Fateman
>·······@cs.berkeley.edu   http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/

Can you be more specific about the location of the Macsyma source?
I, too, have an interest in implementation issues of symbolic algebra
algorithms --- especially symbolic integration.

Thanks,

    Chuck Bond