From: David Fox
Subject: Re: Wanted: programming language for 9 yr old
In article <··········@murrow.corp.sgi.com> Ron Nicholson <···@sgi.com> writes:

] ······@csugrad.cs.vt.edu (Nathan Urban) wrote:
]
] >Really, the only language that tells you how a computer really operates
] >is assembly.
]
] The language that tells you even more about how a computer really operates
] is schematic diagrams and gate level logic.

Computers operate in different ways at different levels.  Some
people are attracted to the gate level, just as some people like
to tinker with car engines.  Others just like to drive.

This leads nicely into another point I want to make - I think we
need to know more about the 9 year old before we can choose a
language.  Different languages suit different personalities.
My choice would be Scheme, but why not sit down with her (him?)
and try a few (interpreted) languages and watch for a reaction.
--
		    http://found.cs.nyu.edu/fox/
David Fox						xoF divaD

From: ········@millcomm.com
In <················@graphics.cs.nyu.edu>, ···@graphics.cs.nyu.edu (David Fox) writes:
>In article <··········@murrow.corp.sgi.com> Ron Nicholson <···@sgi.com> writes:
>
>] ······@csugrad.cs.vt.edu (Nathan Urban) wrote:
>]
>] >Really, the only language that tells you how a computer really operates
>] >is assembly.
>]
>] The language that tells you even more about how a computer really operates
>] is schematic diagrams and gate level logic.
>
>Computers operate in different ways at different levels.  Some
>people are attracted to the gate level, just as some people like
>to tinker with car engines.  Others just like to drive.
>
>This leads nicely into another point I want to make - I think we
>need to know more about the 9 year old before we can choose a
>language.  Different languages suit different personalities.
>My choice would be Scheme, but why not sit down with her (him?)
>and try a few (interpreted) languages and watch for a reaction.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of LEGO-LOGO.  This combination
of Logo and LEGO-based servo mechanisms presents a wide range of options
for learning and playing.

Dan Hicks
From: ········@millcomm.com
In <······@bmtech.demon.co.uk>, Scott Wheeler <······@bmtech.demon.co.uk> writes:
>In Article <··········@news.MillComm.COM> ········@millcomm.com writes:
>>I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of LEGO-LOGO.  This
>combination
>>of Logo and LEGO-based servo mechanisms presents a wide range of
>options
>>for learning and playing.
>
>I am increasingly of the opinion that I was born too early! Where
>would I find out about this? Is it commercial or pd?
>
>Scott

Lego-Logo is sold through educational materials distributors.  It's not cheap,
but it's what I would have to call "reasonably" priced (meaning you couldn't
build it for less).

Dan Hicks