From: k p c
Subject: Re: HTML,SGML,HotJava,HTTP - Where do each fit in the big picture?
I enjoy precis of hot topics like this.

Java's capabilities and proposed uses sound interesting.
Unfortunately, its syntax does not appeal to me the way Lisp's does.

Quoth ······@acs.ucalgary.ca (Joshua Sean Bell):
> C. With a Java-savy browser (HotJava or Netscape 2.0 or ...) you can
> download Java programs and run them on your own computer. These programs

Is anybody interested in summarizing the status of any Lisp dialect
for passing bits of programs around, having mobile web agents do work
for you, and doing the other things that Java is poised to do?  I know
some folks at MIT were working on this or scouting its borders with
CL-HTTP and the Scheme Underground.  Will anything achieve the
momentum of Java?

I'd love to see it!

I don't mean prototypes, but something widespread and burgeoning like
J=a;v+a and P!e$r&l, with active code fragment sites, active use in
well-known web pages, etc.  Perhaps there are plenty of interpreters
that COULD achieve this status, but which ones, if any, do you think
WILL achieve it in reality?

Would a Scheme written in Java be inefficient?  Will we see
web-oriented language heterogeneity?

For the References:-challenged:
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java
> Subject: Re: HTML,SGML,HotJava,HTTP - Where do each fit in the big picture?

If you follow up to this article, please also reply by email.
This helps work around potentially unreliable feeds.

---
···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.  AI, multidisciplinary neuroethology, info filtering.
On a superhighway, existing roads are destroyed, it is easy to monitor traffic,
you can't make your on-ramp, politics controls development; and they arrest you
if you go too fast, travel in your own direction, or use unapproved technology.

From: Joshua Sean Bell
k p c  <···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>I enjoy precis of hot topics like this.
>
>Java's capabilities and proposed uses sound interesting.
>Unfortunately, its syntax does not appeal to me the way Lisp's does.

The Java VM specs are public, so in theory you can roll a Lisp to JavaVM
compiler (or Lisp interpreter at the JavaVM level) and then write in
Lisp. Replace Lisp with any language you like.

>Is anybody interested in summarizing the status of any Lisp dialect
>for passing bits of programs around, having mobile web agents do work
>for you, and doing the other things that Java is poised to do?  I know
>some folks at MIT were working on this or scouting its borders with
>CL-HTTP and the Scheme Underground.  Will anything achieve the
>momentum of Java?

Check out http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/ and look for Mobile Code and
Distributed Objects. There's a summary of known Java/Safe TCL/etc type
projects, the current status, sources of more info, and a comparison of
features.

Joshua
--
                ___.----~~~----.___  | MIME: ······@acs.ucalgary.ca
 ,--------.-.,-'-------------------` | WWW:  http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jsbell/
From: Simon Brooke
······@acs.ucalgary.ca (Joshua Sean Bell) wrote:
>k p c  <···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>I enjoy precis of hot topics like this.
>>
>>Java's capabilities and proposed uses sound interesting.
>>Unfortunately, its syntax does not appeal to me the way Lisp's does.
>
>The Java VM specs are public, so in theory you can roll a Lisp to JavaVM
>compiler (or Lisp interpreter at the JavaVM level) and then write in
>Lisp. Replace Lisp with any language you like.

Yes, but possibly rather easier for a LISP like language, because the
underlying architecture of the JavaVM seems to me quite LISPM like. It
should be possible to write a Java back-end to a Scheme compiler, and
then use it to compile itself, resulting in an executable scheme compiler
you can pass round the Web.

Anybody got a good undergraduate who would take that on for a project?

--
------- ·····@rheged.dircon.co.uk (Simon Brooke)

	There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
	bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.
From: Patrick D. Logan
k p c <···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Java's capabilities and proposed uses sound interesting.
>Unfortunately, its syntax does not appeal to me the way Lisp's does.

To say nothing of the semantics! (Java's better than C++, but...)

>Is anybody interested in summarizing the status of any Lisp dialect
>for passing bits of programs around... Will anything achieve the
>momentum of Java?

It's difficult for me to imagine any kind of Lisp implementation
achieve the momentum of (Hot)Java. Technically, it would be
easy. Culturally, it would be nearly impossible.

--
(503) 264-9309, FAX: (503) 264-3375

"Poor design is a major culprit in the software crisis...
..Beyond the tenets of structured programming, few accepted...
standards stipulate what software systems should be like [in] detail..."
-IEEE Computer, August 1995, Bruce W. Weide