From: Steve Tanimoto
Subject: Allegro CL PC + MSVC++
Has anyone used ACL for Windows to provide a back-end symbolic computation
engine to a Windows 3.1 App written in MSVC++ ?

The online documentation and FAQs explain how to do foreign-function
integration and callbacks, but I've seen no mention of using ACL as
a behind-the-scenes engine to implement the smarts of an application
that is essentially written in C++ with things like the Microsoft
Foundation Classes.

Steve Tanimoto
Univ. of Wash.
From: David B. Lamkins
Subject: Re: Allegro CL PC + MSVC++
········@cs.washington.edu (Steve Tanimoto) wrote:
>Has anyone used ACL for Windows to provide a back-end symbolic computation
>engine to a Windows 3.1 App written in MSVC++ ?
>
>The online documentation and FAQs explain how to do foreign-function
>integration and callbacks, but I've seen no mention of using ACL as
>a behind-the-scenes engine to implement the smarts of an application
>that is essentially written in C++ with things like the Microsoft
>Foundation Classes.

Not for symbolic computation, no...  But I am using ACL4WIN on NT "behind the scenes" in a system that uses other apps built using V=
C++.  The trick is to establish some kind of IPC between the two processes (there are lots of ways to do this).  ACL4WIN must poll t=
he interface, since it's not safely interruptible by callbacks from the other process.

Dave
http://www.teleport.com/~dlamkins
---
CPU Cycles: Use them now, while you still have them.