From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: HTML text of CLTL2?
[Mark Kantrowitz]

|   In article <·····················@naggum.no>,
|   Erik Naggum  <····@naggum.no> wrote:
|   >[Mark Kantrowitz]
|   >
|   >|   I have asked ANSI about making the standard available in a similar
|   >|   fashion.  As you may be aware, ANSI sells copies of the standard to
|   >|   cover its costs, so obviously they can't make it available for free.
|   >
|   >I thought part of the deal with ANSI was that the text should be made
|   >available for free.
|
|   This is definitely not the case, according to email I received from
|   Lynn Barra, the coordinator for Standards Processing for X3. If anybody
|   has a different story FROM AN OFFICIAL SOURCE, I would like to hear
|   about it.

I finally found the note from which I drew my conclusion.  sorry to
disappoint you all: all it says is that ANSI has agreed to let the draft
documents be freely distributable.  not a word about the final standard.

#<Erik 3010112675>
--
NETSCAPISM /net-'sca-,pi-z*m/ n (1995): habitual diversion of the mind to
    purely imaginative activity or entertainment as an escape from the
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·····················@naggum.no> Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:
>I finally found the note from which I drew my conclusion.  sorry to
>disappoint you all: all it says is that ANSI has agreed to let the draft
>documents be freely distributable.  not a word about the final standard.

Well, if it will make you all feel better, I'll let you know that the
document editor (Kent Pitman) is trying to get ANSI to release the spec to
the public domain, on the grounds that membership in an organization cannot
automatically relinquish copyrights.  I'll let you know how things turn
out.
--
Barry Margolin
BBN Planet Corporation, Cambridge, MA