From: James Albert Larson
Subject: Re: Why is Lisp inactive compared to Perl et al?
Re: Lisp underappreciated

I'm an engineer of 17 years experience.  Engineers are Fortran, Mathcad,
spreadsheet, C types for the most part.  Me too.  I had heard of Lisp in an
Artificial Intelligence context.  But as for applying AI to my problems at
work, the conventional wisdom is buy an expert system shell, or get a
neural network package (depending on the problem).  Neither has much to do
with Lisp anymore.

I recently took several courses in Computer Science.  Included was a Lisp
course, (Scheme).  I saw some interesting and powerful things.  But sort of
hated it -- all they did was talk about recursion and being clever.

Then Mathematica was introduced in a course.  It has most of the Lisp
features -- data = code = date, a list structure (so one can create
whatever data structures one wants on the fly), anonymous functions, etc.
Plus it has "pattern-matching" which I think is borrowed from Prolog.  And
one can also write in the C procedural style.

Anyway, the syntax of Mathematica was a lot easier to read.  I also did
some Lisp - like things in Mathematica, and it helped a lot to clear the
cobwebs I had when taking the Lisp course.

Now I appreciate the easy exploratory nature of Mathematica and Lisp.  I
want to tell my fellow engineers that its not just an "AI" language, but
essentially a exploratory language for rapidly prototyping ideas for new
algorithms to solve engineering problems.

Jim Larson