From: Stuart Watt
Subject: Looking for a small CL Prolog
I'm looking for a Common Lisp Prolog-like package with the following features:

1. The cut primitive
2. Fully interpreted so I can make rapid dynamic changes to the database
3. At least a bit flexible and extensible

I don't care about the syntax. Any help appreciated, because otherwise
I'll have to write it myself. If anybody has any ideas, please could they
let me know either here or directly at ··········@open.ac.uk.

Regards, Stuart

--
Stuart Watt; Human Cognition Research Laboratory, Open University,
Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK.

From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: Looking for a small CL Prolog
[Stuart Watt]

|   I'm looking for a Common Lisp Prolog-like package with the following
|   features:
|
|   1. The cut primitive
|   2. Fully interpreted so I can make rapid dynamic changes to the database
|   3. At least a bit flexible and extensible
|
|   I don't care about the syntax.  Any help appreciated, because otherwise
|   I'll have to write it myself.  If anybody has any ideas, please could
|   they let me know either here or directly at ··········@open.ac.uk.

I haven't gotten as far in the book as to tell whether it is what you want,
but Peter Norvig's {Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming, Case
Studies in Common Lisp} includes a small Prolog engine as part of its vast
array of code and examples.  I generally recommend this book for both style
and contents.

(hi from dm863i.)

#<Erik>
--
sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from sarcasm
From: Bruno Haible
Stuart Watt <··········@open.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking for a Common Lisp Prolog-like package with the following features:
>
> 1. The cut primitive
> 2. Fully interpreted so I can make rapid dynamic changes to the database
> 3. At least a bit flexible and extensible
>
> I don't care about the syntax.

Take a look at the CMU AI repository, directory
user/ai/lang/prolog/impl/prolog/.

If you want something really small, you may take my xp-prolog, in
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de:/pub/lisp/clisp/packages/xp-prolog.tar.z .

> Any help appreciated, because otherwise I'll have to write it myself.

It is not that difficult. Xp-prolog was written in two days. Could be a
homework in an AI class.

                    Bruno Haible
                    ······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
From: Simon Brooke
In article <···························@uu-stuart-mac.open.ac.uk>,
Stuart Watt <··········@open.ac.uk> wrote:
>I'm looking for a Common Lisp Prolog-like package with the following features:
>
>1. The cut primitive
>2. Fully interpreted so I can make rapid dynamic changes to the database
>3. At least a bit flexible and extensible
>
>I don't care about the syntax. Any help appreciated, because otherwise
>I'll have to write it myself. If anybody has any ideas, please could they
>let me know either here or directly at ··········@open.ac.uk.
>
>Regards, Stuart

What you almost certainly want is a paper by M Nilsson, _The world's
shortest Prolog interpreter?_ -- lovely little paper, amazingly small
program. Does cut, is fully interpreted, is incredibly simple so you
won't have trouble extending it.

It's written in MACLISP, but I think would port cleanly to CL.
Unfortunately I can't remember where it was published, but it's in a
book on Prolog implementations... if the worst comes to the worst, I
could snail mail a copy of my offprint to a few people.

--
------- ·····@rheged.dircon.co.uk (Simon Brooke)

	The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
					;; of me, by a 'friend'