From: Kelly Murray
Subject: Re: Why is Lisp inactive compared to Perl et al?
> I suspect, however, that Lisp will make considerable gains
> in the near future, thanks largely to Scheme (see the recent
> GNU efforts around GUILE).  ---Luigi

Lisp will make considerable gains in the future thanks largely
to C++, as well as Smalltalk.  People are finally discovering
that C++ doesn't give them what they wanted -- a higher-level,
and easier to use language to create maintainable programs.
The small speed advantage of C++ is really irrelevant for most people.
Many are turning to and considering Smalltalk, which in many ways is what
CLOS competes against.  The Smalltalk folks are going strong against
C++, and it will only be a little while before people start
noticing that CLOS has the features and performance they want.

The view at Franz is that CommonLisp/CLOS was just ahead of its time.
10-15 years later its time is starting to come around.

-Kelly Murray    ยทยทยท@franz.com   http://www.franz.com