From: Holger Duerer
Subject: Re: CLX, AKCL, GCL and Linux
>>>>> On 1 May 1995 14:14:37 GMT, Student user cad2 6 <·····@mselrt4.ise.vt.edu> said:
	Andre> Hi,

	Andre> I'm trying to run CLX (both versions 6 and 5) in the Linux OS (kernel 1.2.5)
	Andre> with XFree 3.1.  So far, I had no luck with both AKCL 1-1-625 and GCL 2.0.
	Andre> Both packages give the same error message (included at the end of this posting)
	Andre> in run time.  Interesting enough, CLISP compiles and runs with no problems
	Andre> using the same code.  Unfortunately, I can't use it for my work.  Any help will
	Andre> be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

	Andre> Andre
	Andre> [...]

        Andre>  >(xlib::hello-world "")
	Andre> Error: X-Error: Connection failure to X2816.0 server  display 0: Protocol
	Andre> version mismatch
	Andre> Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
	Andre> Error signalled by SETQ.
	Andre> [...]

Hi.
I believe, this problem is due to wrong endian-ness.  The CLX-code
fails to correctly identify that your intel-chip is little-endian and
uses big-endian instead which causes protocol errors.

Look for the correct symbol and push it into *features* before
compiling the code.  Or even better: fix the broken code that tries to
identify the endian-ness (I failed to understand it) and post it here.

	Holger

Holger D"urer                                           Tel.: +49 421 218-2452
Universit"at Bremen                                     Fax.: +49 421 218-2720
Zentrum f. Kognitionswissenschaften
FB 3  --  Informatik
Postfach 330 440                        <·············@PC-Labor.Uni-Bremen.DE>
D - 28334 Bremen                 <http://ftp.uni-bremen.de/Duerer/Holger.html>