From: Brad Miller
Subject: type question
(Common Lisp)
How can I tell if a symbol names a type? There doesn't seem to be a type type.

Brad Miller                    ······@cs.rochester.edu
Computer Science Dept.         http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/miller/
University of Rochester        716-275-1118 (v) 461-2018 (f)
Rochester, NY 14627-0226
From: Malcolm E. Cook
Subject: Re: type question
In article <··················@hydra.cs.rochester.edu>, Brad Miller
<······@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> (Common Lisp)
> How can I tell if a symbol names a type? There doesn't seem to be a type type.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Brad Miller                    ······@cs.rochester.edu
> Computer Science Dept.         http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/miller/
> University of Rochester        716-275-1118 (v) 461-2018 (f)
> Rochester, NY 14627-0226

I forget the exact call, and my CLtL is still packed from having moved,
but you could see if the symbol is a subtype of type t.  I'm not sure what
the subtype function does when given an argument which is not a valid
type, but I hazard it will return either nil or generate an error, which
you could catch.

--
Malcolm E. Cook
·····@tiac.net