From: Drnek
Subject: Source for lisp
First of all, is Lisp comercial software?  If not, can someone mail me the
location of the Source code and libraries?  I have been asked to install Lisp
on several machines here and im not very familer with the language.  I have
scaned the FAQ and performed several archie searches but i have not found
anything helpful.

Any help would be welcome

Drnek

--
Experience is something you get just after you need it  - Unknown
Jon Drnek

From: Olaf Bachmann
Subject: Re: Source for lisp
In article <··········@sunserver.lrz-muenchen.de>,
····@lft.mw.tu-muenchen.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have to read a finite element result file, which contains several thousand
> ouput lines. The standard functions read-char or read-line need to much time
> for that operation.
> Has anybody realized a faster read-line or read-char function in lisp, with a
> performance comparable or equivalent to C getchar.

We came across the same problem and added a whole C/GCL/AKCL library of
binary i/o routines targeted towards efficient communications between
symbolic and numeric systems (which, among others, includes socket i/o for UNIX
machines). If you use GCL/AKCL, you might want to have a look at it. Just drop me
a note.

Olaf

Olaf Bachmann                    email: ········@mcs.kent.edu
Ph.D. Student                    phone: (216) 672-4004 ext:203
Kent State University            home : (216) 678-7538
Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science
Kent, Ohio 44242, U.S.A.

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE
From: Stephen J Bevan
In article <··········@news.it.gvsu.edu> ·····@river.it.gvsu.edu (Drnek) writes:
   First of all, is Lisp comercial software?  If not, can someone mail me the
   location of the Source code and libraries?  I have been asked to install Lisp
   on several machines here and im not very familer with the language.  I have
   scaned the FAQ and performed several archie searches but i have not found
   anything helpful.

The FAQ contains a list of implementations both commercial and "free"
along with how to obtain them.  What other information are you looking for?