From: David W Crust
Subject: Lisp on DEC alpha
Does anyone know if there are any implementations of Common Lisp that
run on DEC alpha machines running OSF/1?  I looked in the FAQ but only
saw references to DEC 2100.

Something free or cheap would be preferable, though we have some cash
available if commercial versions are the only option.

Thanks,

Dave

David Crust                              | email: ·······@cs.strath.ac.uk
Computer Science, Strathclyde University |
26 Richmond Street, Glasgow              | Phone: +44 (0)41 552 4400 ext 3592
Scotland  G1 1XH                         | FAX:   +44 (0)41 552 5330

From: Stephen Carney
Subject: Re: Lisp on DEC alpha
In <··········@maxwell-06.cs.strath.ac.uk>, ···@cs.strath.ac.uk (David W Crust) writes:

> Does anyone know if there are any implementations of Common Lisp that
> run on DEC alpha machines running OSF/1?  I looked in the FAQ but only
> saw references to DEC 2100.

> Something free or cheap would be preferable, though we have some cash
> available if commercial versions are the only option.

In general, the Alpha model number for Digital UNIX (DEC 2100 or others)
shouldn't matter.  The only free Lisp I've have found is CLISP.  Digital
UNIX binaries are available at the FTP address below.  CLISP works fine
for me on a DEC 3000/500.

For commercial Lisps, LispWorks by Harlequin is supposed to be quite
good.  If you are doing serious work, invest in a commercial cltl2 Lisp
which comes with extra goodies.

---------- CLISP Announcement --------------------------------------------------

This is CLISP, a Common Lisp implementation.

CLISP is mostly CLtL1 compliant, with some CLtL2 additions, including a
CLOS subset. Many features of CLtL2 or dpANS CL are currently not supported.

The newest versions will always be available via anonymous ftp from
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2], directory /pub/lisp/clisp/.
Another ftp site carrying CLISP is
ftp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.206.173], directory user/ai/lang/lisp/impl/clisp/.

There is a mailing list for users of CLISP. It is the proper forum for
questions about CLISP, installation problems, bug reports, application
packages etc.
For information about the list and how to subscribe it, send mail to
········@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de, with the two lines
          help
          information clisp-list
in the message body.

                        Common Lisp CLISP

Common Lisp is
  * a convential programming language and an AI language
  * interactive
  * a Lisp for professional use

Common Lisp programs are
  * easy to test (interactive)
  * easy to maintain (depending on programming style)
  * portable (there is a standard for the language and the library functions)

Our Common Lisp CLISP
  * needs only 1.5 MB of memory
  * implements 99% of the CLtL1 standard, as well as some extensions
  * can call your preferred editor
  * is freely distributable

Common Lisp provides
  * clear syntax, carefully designed semantics
  * several data types: numbers, strings, arrays, lists, characters, symbols,
    structures, streams etc.
  * runtime typing: the programmer needn't bother about type declarations,
    but he gets notified on type violations.
  * many generic functions:
    88 arithmetic functions for all kinds of numbers (integers, ratios,
    floating point numbers, complex numbers),
    44 search/filter/sort functions for lists, arrays and strings
  * automatic memory management (garbage collection)
  * packaging of programs into modules
  * an object system, generic functions with powerful method combination
  * macros: every programmer can make his own language extensions

Our Common Lisp CLISP provides
  * an interpreter
  * a compiler which makes execution of programs 5 times faster
  * all data types with unlimited size (the size need never be declared,
    the size of lists and arrays may be changed dynamically)
  * integers of arbitrary length, unlimited floating point number precision
  * 594 library functions, 542 of them written in C

Get it via anonymous ftp from ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2],
directory /pub/lisp/clisp/, or contact
Marcus Daniels <······@ee.pdx.edu>
or
Bruno Haible <······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>.

From: Jason Trenouth

David>  Does anyone know if there are any implementations of Common
David> Lisp that run on DEC alpha machines running OSF/1?  I looked in
David> the FAQ but only saw references to DEC 2100.
David>
David> Something free or cheap would be preferable, though we have
David> some cash available if commercial versions are the only option.

Harlequin's LispWorks runs on DEC Alpha and OSF/1.

Contact:

	···············@harlequin.co.uk

for more details.

It's listed in the current FAQ section describing commercial
implementations of Common Lisp. Perhaps you have an old copy?

--
| Jason Trenouth       	       	       	 | WWW:   http://www.harlequin.com  |
| Harlequin Ltd,                         | EMAIL: ·····@harlequin.co.uk     |
From: Wheeler Ruml
CMU Common Lisp was ported to DEC Alpha last November.  It takes a lot
of memory and disk, but it has a great compiler.  The FAQ has the ftp
site.  Another problem is that CMU isn't actively supporting it
anymore (they're working on Dylan).  But it is free, and certainly
worth considering carefully.

Wheeler
--
Wheeler Ruml, Aiken 220, ····@das.harvard.edu, (617) 496-1066 (fax)