From: Mireille Ducasse
Subject: AADEBUG'95: programme
                [Please note that, thanks to COMPULOG-NET we have limited
                support for Logic Programming students. Contact ·······@irisa.fr]

                         CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
                                AADEBUG'95

       2nd International Workshop on Automated and Algorithmic Debugging

                     St Malo, France, May 22-23-24, 1995

      Sponsored by COMPULOG-NET, Region Bretagne and Universite de Rennes 1

Over the past decade automated debugging has seen major achievements. However,
as debugging is by necessity attached to particular programming paradigms, the
results are scattered. The aims of the workshop are to gather common themes and
solutions across programming communities, and to cross-fertilize ideas.

The workshop will take place in a small castle in Saint Malo, a nice place of
Brittany on the sea side. A visit of the world-wide famous Mont St Michel is
planned. In order to encourage discussion and exchange of ideas, the workshop
will be limited to at most 60 people.

Program chair :  M. Ducasse  -  IRISA/INSA Rennes, France

Program Committee:
M. Bergere            University of Orleans, France
B. Bruegge            CMU, USA
W. Drabent            Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland
P. Fritzson           Linkoeping University, Sweden
C. Jard               IRISA/CNRS Rennes, France
L. Johnson            USC ISI, USA
B. Korel              Illinois Institute of Technology, USA
J. Paakki             University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
L.M. Pereira          Lisbon New University, Portugal
S.P. Reiss            Brown University, USA
N. Shahmehri          Linkoeping University, Sweden
M.L. Soffa            University of Pittsburgh, USA

INFORMATION
-----------

1 - Workshop location :    Centre de la Briantais
                           1, rue Maurice Nogu�s - BP 82
                           Saint-Servan
                           35403 Saint-Malo Cedex, FRANCE

                           Tel : +33.99.81.87.04
                           Fax : +33.99.81.56.82

2 - Registration fees (in French Francs, VAT 18,60 % included)

                          Before April 21       After April 21

- Full price                 1 700 FF              2 000 FF
- Student*                   1 200 FF              1 500 FF

(*) only when a copy of the 1994/1995 student card is provided.

These fees include the conference room access, the proceedings, a buffet dinner
on Sunday, lunches from Monday to Wednesday, a guided tour of the abbey of the
Mont Saint-Michel, a banquet on Tuesday, coffee breaks and bus shuttles.

They do not include overnight costs, to be paid directly to La Briantais.

3 - Registration procedures

The participants to the Workshop should complete the enclosed registration form
and return it as soon as possible to:

                              Elisabeth LEBRET
                                   IRISA
                       Campus universitaire de Beaulieu
                         35042 Rennes Cedex, France
                          e-mail: ······@irisa.fr
                           Fax: +33.99.84.71.71

4 - Payment

. By bank transfer : Tr�sorerie G�n�rale de Rennes
                    Compte n� 10071-35000-00003004708-11

. By Banker's draft (or personnal cheque)

All payments should be made in French Currency payable to "Agent Comptable du
CNRS".  Indicate your name and AADEBUG'95 reference.

5 - Transportation

Most international flights to Paris arrive at Charles de Gaulle airport. A fast
train service connects this airport to the centre of Paris. Special (free)
buses run regularly from the airport to the station (Gare RER). At the station
purchase a ticket to Montparnasse Bienvenue (approximate price 40 FF) - this
ticket covers the train into the city centre (an RER train) as well as the
Paris Metro to get to Montparnasse. Take the RER train, getting of at Denfert
Rochereau, where you can transfer to Metro line No 6. (direction Ch. De
Gaulle-Etoile - note: this is NOT at Ch. de Gaulle airport!) to Montparnasse
Bienvenue Metro station, which is directly below Montparnasse railway station
from where the TGV's depart. The journey from the airport to Montparnasse
usually takes about 1 hour.

Concerning transportation between Paris Montparnasse and St-Malo, note that TGV
(High Speed Train) trains from Paris to Rennes run approximately every hour.
It takes about 3 hours from Paris to St-Malo.

In particular, on Sunday 21st, a TGV will leave at Montparnasse station at 4:20
pm for Rennes, arriving at 6:33 pm (number 8647).  A regional train leaves
Rennes railway station at 7:13 pm, arriving at St-Malo at 8:14 pm. A special
bus will drive you to "La Briantais".

IMPORTANT: Please note that TGV reservations are obligatory.

6 - Social events

An excursion is planned on Tuesday 23rd at the Mont Saint-Michel (one of the
wonders of the world). After the guided tour of the famous abbey, all the
participants will be invited to a banquet in a restaurant facing the sea side.
Further details will be given at the workshop.

                       ________________________
                      |                        |
                      |       AADEBUG'95       |
                      |                        |
                      | PROVISIONNAL PROGRAMME |
                      |________________________|

Sunday May 21st
---------------

18h00
        Registration
19h30
        Buffet

Monday May 22nd
---------------

9h00
        Welcome address
9h30
        LAZYNESS and DELAYS

        The Architecture of a Debugger for Lazy Functional Languages
        J. Sparud and H. Nilsson
        Chalmers University of Technology and Link�ping University, Sweden

        Debugging in GAPLog: A model for execution of logic programs with
        delayed function calls
        T. Heyer
        Technical University Braunschweig, Germany
10h30
        Break
11h00
        SLICING

        Evaluation of Program Slicing tools
        T. Hoffner, M. Kamkar and P. Fritzson
        Link�ping University, Sweden

        Computation Of Dynamic Slices For Programs With Arbitrary Control-Flow
        B. Korel
        Illinois Institute of Technology, USA

        Static Slicing of Logic Programs
        T. Gyim�thy and J. Paakki
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Hungary and Univ. of Helsinki, Finland
12h30
        Lunch
14h00
        EDUCATION

        Transparency debugging with explanations for Novice programmers
        P. A. Smith and G. I. Webb
        Deakin University, Australia

        HARDWARE

        Efficient Run-time Monitoring Using Shadow Processing
        H. Patil and C. Fischer
        University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA

        ASSERTIONS

        Testability Based Assertion Injection for Software Debugging
        J. M. Voas
        Reliable Software Technologies Corporation, USA

        MODEL-BASED DIAGNOSIS

        Functional Diagnosis of Sequential Programs
        B. Liver
        Swiss Telecom PTT, Research & Development, Switzerland
16h00
        Break
16h30
        Panel
        "Programming paradigms and debugging: key issues and challenges"
        Panelists to be announced
18h30
        Bus to Saint Malo

Tuesday May 23rd
---------------

9h00
        ALGORITHMIC DEBUGGING

        Efficient Detection of Incompleteness Errors in the Abstract Debugging
        of Logic Programs
        M. Comini, G. Levi and G. Vitiello
        Universita' di Pisa, Italy

        Algorithmic Debugging with RISC
        G. Tobermann and C. Beckstein
        FORWISS and University of Erlangen, Germany

        An Algorithmic Fault-Locating Method for Procedural Languages and Its
        Implementation FIND
        T. Shimomura, Y. Oki, T. Chikaraishi and T. Ohta
        ATR Communication Systems Research Laboratories, Japan
10h30
        Break
11h00
        POSTER SESSION

        AUI - the Debugger and Assertion Checker for the Awk Programming
        Language
        M. Auguston, S. Banerjee, M. Mamnani, G. Nabi, J.  Reinfelds,
        U. Sarkans and I. Strnad
        New Mexico State University, USA

        Using Functional Representations for Program Debugging
        D. Allemang
        Swiss PTT, Research and Development, Switzerland

        A Class Library for the Automization of Class Testing
        P. Rueppel
        Technische Universitaet Berlin, Germany

        Overwhelming Nondeterminism
        M. Oberhuber
        Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Germany

        Concurrent Distributed Debugging with Erlang
        M. Fr�berg
        Ellemtel, Sweden

        Heterogeneous Debugging In Real Time Systems Development
        J. C. Du�nas, A. Rend�n and G. L�on
        Universidad Polit�cnica de Madrid, Spain

        CHD: A Cross Debugger for Concurrent CHILL Programs
        E.H.Paik, Y.S. Chung, W. Choi, G. B. Choi and C.W. Yoo
        Electronices and Telecommunications Research Institute, Korea
12h30
        Lunch
14h00
        Bus to the Mont Saint Michel. Guided tour through the Abbey.
19h00
        Banquet

Wednesday May 24th
---------------

9h00
        INVITED TALK
        A look at replaying techniques for distributed executions
        N. Plouzeau and M. Raynal
        IRISA, France
10h00
        Break
10h30
        DISTRIBUTED and CONCURRENT DEBUGGING

        High-Level Views of Distributed Executions
        T. Kunz
        University of Waterloo, Canada

        Recognition of Patterns on Control Flows for Debugging Distributed
        Executions
        E. Fromentin, C. Jard, M. Raynal and G. Jourdan
        IRISA, France

        A Consistent Global State Algorithm to Debug Distributed
        Object-Oriented Applications
        P.Placide, G.Florin, L.Duchien and L.Seinturier
        CNAM,  Laboratoire CEDRIC, France

        Testing Techniques for Data-Flow Synchronous Programs
        F. Ouabdesselam and I. Parissis
        Laboratoire de Genie Informatique - IMAG, France
12h30
        Lunch
14h00
        EVENT ANALYSIS

        Formally Defining Debuggers
        K. L. Bernstein and E. W. Stark
        State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA

        Program Behavior Model Based on Event Grammar and its Application for
        Debugging Automation
        M. Auguston
        New Mexico State University, USA

        Automated Debugging Extensions of the Opium Trace Analyser
        M. Ducass�
        IRISA/INSA de Rennes, France
15h30
        Closing
16h00

******************************* cut here ****************************

     |                       AADEBUG'95                        |
     |  Registration and accommodation form to be returned     |
     |                 as soon as possible to:                 |
     |                     Elisabeth LEBRET                    |
     |                          IRISA                          |
     |               Campus universitaire de Beaulieu          |
     |                  35042 Rennes Cedex, France             |
     |                   e-mail: ······@irisa.fr               |
     |                    Fax : +33.99.84.71.71                |
     |_________________________________________________________|

                            ______________
                           |              |
                           | REGISTRATION |
                           |______________|

Name                                 First Name

Organization

Address

Town                                  Zip code

Country

Tel. :                        Fax :                      E-mail :

REGISTRATION FEES
-----------------
                              before April 20       After April 20
                                          _                     _
Full price                     1 700 FF  |_|         2 000 FF  |_|
                                          _                     _
Student*                       1 200 FF  |_|         1 500 FF  |_|

(*) Please, enclose a photocopy of the 1994/1995 student card.

PAYMENT
-------

We regret that credit cards cannot be used to pay the registration fees.
 _
|_| Registration fees is paid by an individual
 _
|_| Registration fees is paid by an organization
 _
|_| I send a purchase order from the Accounting Department by post
 _
|_| I send a cheque of ............. FF by post

All payments should be made in French Currency payable to
l'Agent Comptable du CNRS      ---------------

 _
|_| Payment by Bank transfer (Tr�sorerie G�n�rale de Rennes
                  account number 10071-35000-00003004708-11)

Please, indicate your name and AADEBUG'95 reference.

You will be fully registered at the reception of your payment or a purchase
order.

CANCELLATIONS
-------------

Fees will be returned in full for any written cancellation received before May
15th (date postmarked stamp). No refund will be made in respect of
cancellations received after this date.

Date :                             Signature :

                               _______________
                              |               |
                              |  AADEBUG'95   |
                              |               |
                              | ACCOMMODATION |
                              |_______________|

Please note that accommodation must be paid directly by participants to "La
Briantais". You can use your credit card except American Express Card.
                                         ----------------------------

A block of double rooms have been booked at "La Briantais Center" However, a
limited number of single rooms is available.  If necessary, we will book more
single rooms downtown, and bus shuttles will be provided between hotels and
location workshop .  We advise you to book accommodaion as soon as
possible. Requests will be dealt with in order of arrival.

Average rates per person (including breakfast) and per night.

                        Centre de la Briantais
                  (Limited number of available rooms)

 1 - single room           250 FF/person

 2 - Twin room             170 FF/person

These rates are to be considered as not including bank charges.

Please reserve
 _
|_| a twin-bedroom shared by 2 persons

    Shared with  Mr / Mrs / Miss ..............................

 _
|_| a single room

Arrival date                                   Time

Departure date                                 Time

Number of nights

                                                         _
Vegetarian food required (tick):                        |_|

Any special requirements: .......................................
(we will do our best)