From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Lucid / Solaris 2 / compile problem
When I try to compile a file, I get an endless (well, 'till it
gives up) stream of

  Not enough foreign stack to handle interrupt: ~
                                   Handling overflow first.
  Expanding multitasking main foreign stack due to overflow.

messages (as below).

Has anyone encountered a problem like this?  Compilation
used to work fine, but now it doesn't.  An OS patch was
installed in the meantime, but I don't know whether it's
the problem.

;;; Lucid Common Lisp/SPARC Solaris
;;; Development Environment Version 4.1.1, 18 November 1993
;;; Copyright (C) 1985,1986,1987,1988,1989,1990,1991,1992,1993 by Lucid, Inc.
;;; All Rights Reserved
;;;
;;; This software product contains confidential and trade secret information
;;; belonging to Lucid, Inc.  It may not be copied for any reason other than
;;; for archival and backup purposes.
;;;
;;; Lucid and Lucid Common Lisp are trademarks of Lucid, Inc.  Other brand
;;; or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their
;;; respective holders.

>  (compile-file "~/random/syllogism.cl")
;;; You are using the compiler in DEVELOPMENT mode (compilation-speed = 3)
;;; If you want faster code at the expense of longer compile time,
;;; you should use the production mode of the compiler, which can be obtained
;;; by evaluating (proclaim '(optimize (compilation-speed 0)))
;;; Generation of full safety checking code is enabled (safety = 3)
;;; Optimization of tail calls is disabled (speed = 2)
;;; Reading source file "/home/jeff/random/syllogism.cl"
;;; Warning: File does not begin with IN-PACKAGE.  Compiling in package "USER"
Not enough foreign stack to handle interrupt: ~
                                 Handling overflow first.
Expanding multitasking main foreign stack due to overflow.
Not enough foreign stack to handle interrupt: ~
                                 Handling overflow first.
Expanding multitasking main foreign stack due to overflow.
Not enough foreign stack to handle interrupt: ~
                                 Handling overflow first.
Expanding multitasking main foreign stack due to overflow.
Not enough foreign stack to handle interrupt: ~
                                 Handling overflow first.

-- jeff