From: Seayco Integrators
Subject: Lisp Book Wanted!!
I would like to find the best book on Lisp Programming that there is on the
Market. Anyone with a suggestion please post the title, ISBN, or author.

Thank in Advance,
Mat
······@crl.com

From: Richard M. Alderson III
Subject: Re: Lisp Book Wanted!!
In article <··········@crl10.crl.com> ······@crl.com (Seayco Integrators)
writes:

>I would like to find the best book on Lisp Programming that there is on the
>Market. Anyone with a suggestion please post the title, ISBN, or author.

It hasn't been written yet, although Winston & Horn (1st edition, using MACLISP
rather than Common Lisp) and Abelson & Sussman came close.
--
Rich Alderson   You know the sort of thing that you can find in any dictionary
                of a strange language, and which so excites the amateur philo-
From: Ian Garmaise
Rich,

What was wrong with the second (and third) editions of
Winston and Horn?  By the way, I have the second.  For good
beginner's Lisp book I nominate Eisenberg's Programming in
Scheme.

Ian Garmaise

···@pubnix.net
From: Dan Winkler
> Paradigms of Ai programming Peter Norvig

The exact title is "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming:
Case Studies in Common Lisp" and it is just amazing, the best I've
ever seen.  It's clear, practical and packed with a huge amount
interesting content.  I've collected dozens of lisp books over the
years and this one stands far above the rest in my opinion.  Check it out!
From: Steve Pacenka
······@tiac.net (Dan Winkler) wrote:

>> Paradigms of Ai programming Peter Norvig

>The exact title is "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming:
>Case Studies in Common Lisp" and it is just amazing, the best I've
>ever seen.  It's clear, practical and packed with a huge amount
>interesting content.  I've collected dozens of lisp books over the
>years and this one stands far above the rest in my opinion.  Check it out!

I'll also vote yes for Peter Norvig's book.  The book has quite a few
significant examples of classic AI and other programs (such as a
Scheme interpreter and Scheme compiler).  For example I've been using
the book to teach myself enough common LISP to port Norvig's EMYCIN
example to XLISPSTAT, then to use the EMYCIN shell to reimplement an
application that originally required the backward chaining inference
engine of Gold Hill's Goldworks.

The book code (like Winston's) is available in the CMU AI Repository.

-- SP
From: Peter Ward
In article <··········@crl10.crl.com> ······@crl.com "Seayco Integrators" writes:

> I would like to find the best book on Lisp Programming that there is on the
> Market. Anyone with a suggestion please post the title, ISBN, or author.

Best for what?

I have "LISP (3rd edition)" by PH Winston and BKP Horn,
published by Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-08319-1.
I think it has good realistic examples.

"The Little Lisper" is good intro to some concepts, but
I dont know the details.

--
Peet.