From: Rob Blackwell
Subject: MS Access from Allegro CL for Windows ?
I need to be able to query a Microsoft Access 2 format database
from my Lisp program.

Currently I'm doing this by DDEing SQL to an intermediate process
written in VB which then DDEs the results back to my calling Lisp
program. Not suprisingly, its pretty slow.

I guess what I really want is an implementation of ODBC for
Allegro CL.

Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Rob.

From: ······@iexist.flw.att.com
Subject: Re: MS Access from Allegro CL for Windows ?
In article <··········@xenon.bt-sys.bt.co.uk>, Rob Blackwell <·············@bt-sys.bt.co.uk> writes:
|> I need to be able to query a Microsoft Access 2 format database
|> from my Lisp program.
|>
|> Currently I'm doing this by DDEing SQL to an intermediate process
|> written in VB which then DDEs the results back to my calling Lisp
|> program. Not suprisingly, its pretty slow.
|>
|> I guess what I really want is an implementation of ODBC for
|> Allegro CL.
|>
|> Any thoughts ?
|>
|> Regards,
|>
|> Rob.

An ODBC access is exactly what you want.  We have implemented a foreign
function interface to ODBC 1.0 for both Windows and Windows NT.  It is
fast and allows transparent access to all SQL databases.  We have used
Microsoft Access and SQL Server so far with no problems.  I would
recommend getting the Microsoft ODBC 2.0 Programmers Reference and SDK
Guide.  It was essential for our implementing the 1.0 level functionality.
The Windows DLL is ODBC.DLL and the NT DLL is ODBC32.DLL.

It would be nice if Franz would provide this functionality as part of
their ACL/PC package, don't you think?

Bruce Westergren
From: Stefan K. Bamberger
In article <··········@ssbunews.ih.att.com>, ······@iexist.flw.att.com wrote:

> An ODBC access is exactly what you want.  We have implemented a foreign
> function interface to ODBC 1.0 for both Windows and Windows NT.  It is
> fast and allows transparent access to all SQL databases.  We have used
> Microsoft Access and SQL Server so far with no problems.  I would
> recommend getting the Microsoft ODBC 2.0 Programmers Reference and SDK
> Guide.  It was essential for our implementing the 1.0 level functionality.
> The Windows DLL is ODBC.DLL and the NT DLL is ODBC32.DLL.
>
> It would be nice if Franz would provide this functionality as part of
> their ACL/PC package, don't you think?
>
> Bruce Westergren

Hi,

We tried over half a year to develop a FFI interface to an ODBC dll.
Do you mind sharing your LISP code with us??
It would be a great help for us in connecting to databases and
understanding the FFI interface ;-))

- stefan k. bamberger
***  Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have! ****
Stefan K. Bamberger          email: ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Lehrstuhl f"ur Informatik VI                 voice : ++49 931 7056114
Universit"at W"urzburg / Germany               Fax : ++49 931 7056120