From: Clint Hyde
Subject: RE: Lisp considered unfinished
In article <·····················@wavehh.hanse.de> ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:

--> For me, Common Lisp systems break relativly often, more often than my
--> (GNU) C compiler.

this is amazing!  Lisp never breaks itself for me.  nor does it
core-dump because of some problem.  my Lisp-code politely goes into the
debugger whereupon I am able to go right to the source-code or the
problem.  my C-code breaks when I'm out of practice, and core-dumps
every single time (I know, gdb and dbx prevent some of this, but I'm
even MORE out of practice with them).

--> This causes me to do my Lisp work on UNIX where I have several
--> compilers availiable to check them against each other (and against my
--> unsufficient knowledge of Common Lisp that causes many programs to
--> fail, too).
-->
--> The nature of working in Lisp, in an integrated environment where a
--> crash in a compiler or debugger/inspector/whatever causes all editing

I wonder what Lisp you're talking about here. the only time in the past
where I have had this level of disaster occur was when I had bashed the
window system SO BADLY that I couldn't get to Emacs/ZMACS to save files.
and that hasn't happened for some years.

--> sessions to be terminated, too make the situation worse as in C, where
--> a crashing compiler doesn't harm other emacs buffers.

 -- clint