From: Jamie Hamilton
Subject: Re: Lisp considered too hard
On 6 Jun 1995, Dave Yost wrote:

> Here's another problem that needs solving:
>
> Lisp is considered too hard for most programmers,
> too elegant, too complex, too formal, etc.
> A Vice President of a major computer industry company
> said this (more or less) to me just the other day.

Lisp too hard? Have you ever seen the tortured  code that even mediocre
C++ programmers puzzle through to get the job done? People who can learn
C++ would (and do) find Lisp a breeze. They would learn it if they knew
they would make more money, and that's all there is to it. Sometimes I
think we should band together and place a large want ad in every major
market:

     Programmer's Wanted, $100/hr.
    Knowledge of Lisp, C++ required.

Whenever anyone calls up, you just tell them that their Lisp experience
is inadequate. At least it would increase book sales.

Let's face it. Lisp had plenty of interest and venture capital in the
mid-80s. Overall, the companies that emphasized Lisp just didn't deliver.
If Lisp is unpopular, it's not Their fault. It's Our fault.