From: Stefan K. Bamberger
Subject: ACL/W 2.0: win32S vs NT
Hi,

yesterday I installed MS WINWOS NT 3.5 Server on my machine and made a
time check of our LISP application. The result was astonishing:

on the Pentium-90 PCI machine the same code in NT runs half the speed as
in WIN32s.
During execution no I/O is made, so the 32s-to-Windows interface is not
involved.
But nevertheless, I thought, that it'll be much faster on a 'real' (!?)
32-bit OS....

Additionally I gave ACL in NT 32MB heap size, in 32s only 16MB.

Does anybody has made similar or totally different experiences??

- Stefan
***  Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have! ****
Stefan K. Bamberger          email: ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Lehrstuhl f"ur Informatik VI                 voice : ++49 931 7056114
Universit"at W"urzburg / Germany               Fax : ++49 931 7056120
From: 55437-olivier clarisse(haim)463
Subject: Re: ACL/W 2.0: win32S vs NT
In article <······················@wi6a66.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de (Stefan K. Bamberger) writes:
|> Hi,
|>
|> yesterday I installed MS WINWOS NT 3.5 Server on my machine and made a
|> time check of our LISP application. The result was astonishing:
|>
|> on the Pentium-90 PCI machine the same code in NT runs half the speed as
|> in WIN32s.
|> During execution no I/O is made, so the 32s-to-Windows interface is not
|> involved.
|> But nevertheless, I thought, that it'll be much faster on a 'real' (!?)
|> 32-bit OS....
|>
|> Additionally I gave ACL in NT 32MB heap size, in 32s only 16MB.
|>
|> Does anybody has made similar or totally different experiences??

It probably largely depends on your machine and what your program
does... We have tried a medium size application (~50k NCSL) using
ACLPC and CLIM2.0 Alpha on AT&T Globalyst 590 Pentium 66 PC with
24MB RAM, the application used multiprocessing and lots of graphical frames
all at once on all version of Windows we could get our hands on.

We only roughly "guesstimated" the end-user impression of speed from using
the GUIs and running the system. It is faster under Windows-NT than
Windows (as one would expect) and not the other way around.
Perhaps 16MB->24MB RAM makes a significant difference as Windows
is smaller in memory than NT. I have no idea how good their
respective swapping times are, but I will guess the performance hit
you are getting is because NT is bigger so that NT+ACLPC+YOU-APP+OTHERS
is too big to run in RAM.

--
Olivier Clarisse