From: bob
Subject: Lisp-based discrete event simulation, Pattern-matching
Hi All,

My lab is looking for a Discrete Event Simulator (lisp-based) for
multi-agent organization simulation. We are also looking for a
pattern-matching code in lisp (e.g. in public domain). We would appreciate
it very much if you provide us some information.

Thank you,
Kevin
···@good.stanford.edu

From: Brian Leverich
bob (········@leland.stanford.edu) wrote:

: My lab is looking for a Discrete Event Simulator (lisp-based) for
: multi-agent organization simulation. We are also looking for a
: pattern-matching code in lisp (e.g. in public domain). We would appreciate
: it very much if you provide us some information.

: Kevin
: ···@good.stanford.edu

The RAND Object-oriented Simulation System is a Lisp-based discrete
event simulator designed for modeling organizational interactions and
which, incidentally, uses pattern matching to allow messages to be
dynamically routed to behaviors.

A Common Lisp implementation is available from:
	ftp://rand.org/pub/leverich/gross1b6.tgz

The bad news is that we haven't bothered to keep the docs current
since the original reports came out a decade ago, so you need to get
the old stuff and then ask one of the current maintainers about what's
changed over the years.

The most interesting thing that's happened recently is that we've
inteegrated ROSS with Carnegie-Mellon's Garnet GUI-builder, so you
can add whizzy graphics to simulations with a reasonably small
amount of effort.  Cheers, B.

----------
Dr. Brian Leverich
Information Systems Scientist, The RAND Corporation
········@rand.org
From: Scott D. Anderson
In article <·························@eeslabmaciici1.stanford.edu> ········@leland.stanford.edu (bob) writes:

> From: ········@leland.stanford.edu (bob)
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 18:59:03 +0000
>
> My lab is looking for a Discrete Event Simulator (lisp-based) for
> multi-agent organization simulation. We are also looking for a
> pattern-matching code in lisp (e.g. in public domain). We would appreciate
> it very much if you provide us some information.
>
> Thank you,
> Kevin
> ···@good.stanford.edu

I have implemented a discrete event simulator written in Common Lisp as
part of my dissertation work.  The system is named Mess (Multiple Event
Stream Simulator).  It is a domain-independent substrate for building
simulators.  Mess is used in my lab, the Experimental Knowledge Systems
Lab (EKSL), for two simulators: (1) Phoenix, a simulator of multiple AI
agents fighting forest fires in Yellowstone National Park, and (2) Baby, a
testbed for research in machine learning and cognitive modelling.

There is a June release available by anonymous FTP from ftp.cs.umass.edu
pub/eksl/mess/mess-5-1.tar.gz.  You also need to get our utilities
pub/eksl/utils/utils-2.tar.gz.  (The distribution procedure is still a
little rough, but it'll improve.)  The distribution includes some very
rough documentation and demo systems, showing how to use the system.

A new release will be available by the end of this month, which will
include improved documentation.  Feel free to contact me for more
information.

Scott D. Anderson
········@cs.umass.edu