From: Pedro M U A Lima
Subject: [Q] Installation of CMU-LISP on an Alpha-OSF
Hi,

I am trying to install CMU-LISP (version: 17f-alpha_osf1) on an Alpha-OSF3.0
machine. When I try to run lisp, it answers with a "Unable to obtain requested
swap space" message and a "segmentation fault" error.
We have in our Alpha machine a 192Mb swap space installed, which should be
enough to run cmu-lisp.

Could anyone tell me what is going wrong and what can be done to solve
the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Luis Custodio
From: Rob MacLachlan
Subject: Re: [Q] Installation of CMU-LISP on an Alpha-OSF
You need to set some parameter in the system configuration which tells the OS
to do delayed on-demand allocation of swap space, rather than checking the size
of allocations at request time.  The default under Irix is for any allocation
which might run out of space to fail, whereas CMU CL assumes that it can
allocate huge chunks of the address space.

  Rob