From: Richard Lee
Subject: Re: Lucid Lisp error type question

 Ken> In article <··················@nlp.vienna.itd.sterling.com> ····@vienna.itd.sterling.com (Richard Lee) writes:

 Ken>    Question:
 Ken>    What error type does Lucid Common Lisp produce when GC fails -- ie,
 Ken>    recovers so little garbage that it has to leave GC and EGC turned off?

 Ken> One way is to trace SIGNAL to see the class of error produced.  Another is
 Ken> to look on the class hierarchy for likely error classes:

 >> (describe (find-class 'serious-condition)

[etc]

Interesting.  Which version of LCL are you running?  We're using 4.0,
and I didn't load CLOS because I didn't think we needed it.  So,
find-class is undefined.  Is it the case that if I loaded CLOS I would
get a condition system which _uses_ CLOS?

(trace signal) tells me that the original condition is
LUCID::PANIC-MODE-DISALLOWS-EGC, but by the time my code gets ahold of
an error all it sees is SIMPLE-ERROR, so I have to check for that then
look at the simple-condition-format-string to see if it's "GC and EGC
disabled ...".  I think that'll do it.

--
Richard Lee   ····@vienna.itd.sterling.com   Sterling Software, Vienna VA
     "Don't take life so serious, son...  It ain't NOHOW permanent."